Brake problem.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
eurekagary

Brake problem.

Post by eurekagary »

I am having brake problems again. I have very little pressure and a long throw on the pedal travel. Pressure was good 2 weeks ago and now none. The car sat for a few weeks. and now no brakes. I have 4 wheel drums with all new (3 years old ) brake cylinders, M/C, etc. drums were new German drums and shoes back in 2001, car sat for 15 years during build. I adjusted the brakes before and they would work fine, now no luck. What’s up? Should I try to re bleed the system ? I posted this on Facebook but I think I have realized that most people these days don’t build their own cars, so you don’t get many answers there
Maybe I need to fine a local old VW guy to help me, but I lived in the middle of no where.
Thanks
Gary
lastmanx

Re: Brake problem.

Post by lastmanx »

Yes rebleed system. also look for leaks, and be sure all line connections are tight. I suspect you have a loose connection that is allowing air into the system. look also at the brake switch sensors at the master cylinder. I found one on my buggy was leaving a small drip and causing the same condition. rare but sometimes the screw in sensor leaks within itself. there is nothing wrong with fixing your buggy by yourself. I know it is frustrating but you can do it, paying some one else for things you can do is a waste of money. concentrate, take all day if needed but get it done. also brake shoes do wear down so frequent adjustment is normal when shoes are new. if all connections are tight you may have a bad master. but carefully check everything before replacing the master; as it will cause you to start all over with the brake bleeding. as stated I had same problem that was the screw in sensors, look there first. also if you have the main line to the rear as a 2 piece connection, check that also. any tightening of any thing could have been the problem; as tight means it wont tighten any more. good luck, been there done that. I have felt your pain.
GotManx

Re: Brake problem.

Post by GotManx »

Also try readjusting your brakes before bleeding. If the drums have been off, the shoes will need to get re-centered to the drums. They may seem tight and adjusted when you first put the drum on, but after a little driving, they will move and find their center.