Dimensions of the gas tank opening on New Classic Manx?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
FRENZIED

Dimensions of the gas tank opening on New Classic Manx?

Post by FRENZIED »

What are the dimensions of the gas tank opening of the Manx (I'm guessing the opening is the same on all the Manx body styles)? I'm making plans for a Manx build, but going electric and wondering what sort of clearance/room is under there for a battery box.
I'm graphic!
lastmanx

Re: Dimensions of the gas tank opening on New Classic Manx?

Post by lastmanx »

very little to none. look at a stock early tank, about 5 inches below and same above. the below issue is the steering tie rods are right there. above you can barely make a fist over the tank. changing the gas tank float is a nightmare, but is about all you can do. I know nothing about what type batteries are used. good luck it will be a challenge.
FRENZIED

Post by FRENZIED »

lastmanx wrote:very little to none. look at a stock early tank, about 5 inches below and same above. the below issue is the steering tie rods are right there. above you can barely make a fist over the tank. changing the gas tank float is a nightmare, but is about all you can do. I know nothing about what type batteries are used. good luck it will be a challenge.
Thank you, Lastmanx!
I'm graphic!
Tom-Szwajkos

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

You could possibly mount a small battery in the lower right hand corner of the pan in front. I have my electric fuel pump mounted in that location currently. You just need to take some measurements and see what would fit. I had as custom aluminum gas tank made for my Manx. Boyd's tanks in FL built it. The replacement VW gas tanks are mostly thin gauge junk. I built a prototype fuel tank out of plywood to see what would fit in the current space. Sent in a drawing to Boyd's and they quoted it for me. Going with a custom tank allows you to put the fill nozzle where you want it. I also had them install the fuel level sender flange, one output line fitting bung and one return line fitting bung in case I want to convert to fuel injection later. I also added a vent bung. The fuel pump draws fuel from the top of the tank versus the bottom which is alot safer than a bottom drain.