Brake line

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Dunerunner

Brake line

Post by Dunerunner »

I am trying to locate a vendor for the-main steel brake line on my shortened buggy . It needs to be 72” (or so) in length. I am currently Using a full length VW Bug line is ,which is 14 “ longer than necessary. I am avoiding joining 2 shorter pieces . It is ,of course metric and a bubble flare. Anyone have any suggestions? Colin
GotManx

Re: Brake line

Post by GotManx »

Get a flaring tool. These are not too difficult to use, just do a couple of practices first.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4504
Dunerunner

Post by Dunerunner »

Yes ,good point ,I have done regular flaring in the past , never done a bubble flare . Can’t be that difficult. Thanks for the nudge.....
knucklehead

Post by knucklehead »

I have one of these, works killer. much easier than the standard flair tool. they also have a $200 tool that is better, but you have to do a lot of brake lines to justify the price.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-on-ca ... ubing.html
They call me "lazy"

69 buggy "soncha"
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

I would recommend stainless steel brake lines. you can buy the complete set from appletree for about 64 bucks. yes the main line is full length not coupled. just put a longer routing around the front pedals to use up the extra length. too easy, no tools to buy or master. I can swear to their longevity; mine have lasted 19 years and counting. if the sight of the lines bother you : cover them with carpet or a mat. they won't rust.5066 salty sea sand, no worries 19 years.
Dunerunner

Post by Dunerunner »

Thanks to “gotmanx” I followed his advice ,got the flare tool and did the job easily.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Dunerunner wrote:Thanks to “gotmanx” I followed his advice ,got the flare tool and did the job easily.
Winner winner chicken dinner! there's nothing better then the sense of accomplishment!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)