Rear Torsion Adjustment

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
55MANX

Rear Torsion Adjustment

Post by 55MANX »

Hello, I'm looking for a VW mechanic in So Cal that can raise the rear end of my swing axle Manx. Any leads?
Last edited by 55MANX on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
5150bossman

Re: Rear Torsion Adjustment

Post by 5150bossman »

So Cal is pretty generic. Any area in particular? Also, this is something you can do yourself if you have the inclination and the right tools.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

If you are going through that much work, you may want to consider adding these as well to give you some adjustability. https://swayaway.com/product/spring-pla ... wing-axle/ There are 2 versions for different lenght torsion bars. Tom
55MANX

Post by 55MANX »

Thanks for the replies. Yep, did it 20 years ago but I'll gladly pay now, I found Randy at the Gold Mine in Whittier for the job. (Tom) I really like those Sway-A-Way Spring Plates and should commit before I drop off the buggy, do they replace the stock spring plates with 24 11/16″ long bars without modification?
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I think the one that doesn't have a collar length listed is for the stock length torsion bar. https://swayaway.com/product-category/s ... swingaxle/ It would be best to talk to them before ordering. I also know that other companies have the Chinese version for less $$, but these are the best ones. The main part of the thing is spring steel that has to be able to bend when they go through the travel, and spring steel cost more that regular steel. I found a used set of real Sway-a-way ones on The Samba for our early Manx for a lot less $$. Look under the used offroad part area. Tom