Drum Front Disc Rear Setup

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
DesertWRX

Drum Front Disc Rear Setup

Post by DesertWRX »

I’m looking for the correct master cylinder for this setup. I’ve hear that the stock single piston master works and the newer dual piston master’s work too. Does anyone here have experience with this?
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Drum Front Disc Rear Setup

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes you can use either the single or dual master cylinder with that combo. I prefer the dual circuit master cylinder so if something happens you still will have some braking action.
One thing you may want to think about installing is a proportioning valve. That way you can adjust the brake bias. I would install it in front circuit because there is a chance of the front brakes locking up.
With the proportioning valve you can reduce the amount of fluid reaching the front disc to keep them from locking up.
Get one that is adjustable, so you can change the setting with different driving conditions.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
DesertWRX

Post by DesertWRX »

jsturtlebuggy wrote:Yes you can use either the single or dual master cylinder with that combo. I prefer the dual circuit master cylinder so if something happens you still will have some braking action.
One thing you may want to think about installing is a proportioning valve. That way you can adjust the brake bias. I would install it in front circuit because there is a chance of the front brakes locking up.
With the proportioning valve you can reduce the amount of fluid reaching the front disc to keep them from locking up.
Get one that is adjustable, so you can change the setting with different driving conditions.
Sure familiar with a proportioning valve. Had one on our Mazda RX3 SCCA car to cut back the fronts.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

If you are going to use a proportioning valve, here is one with VW type fitting capability. No adaptors. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... ecID=10257 Tom