VW Fuel Pumps, push rods

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
manxvair

VW Fuel Pumps, push rods

Post by manxvair »

This past weekend while out on trail ride at the Lake Hemet Buggies & Burgers event, there was a need to replace a VW fuel pump out on the trail. The 1st pump tried required a long push rod but the buggy was equipped with a short push rod type, after some radio communications 2 more fuel pumps were located and brought to the break down location, luckily 1 was correct and field repair was successful.
My recommendation for those carrying a spare VW fuel pump would be to carry the fuel pump push rod also.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
rzeller

Re: VW Fuel Pumps, push rods

Post by rzeller »

manxvair wrote:This past weekend while out on trail ride at the Lake Hemet Buggies & Burgers event, there was a need to replace a VW fuel pump out on the trail. The 1st pump tried required a long push rod but the buggy was equipped with a short push rod type, after some radio communications 2 more fuel pumps were located and brought to the break down location, luckily 1 was correct and field repair was successful.
My recommendation for those carrying a spare VW fuel pump would be to carry the fuel pump push rod also.
For this reason, I carry an extra fuel pump and both a long and short push rod. Fortunately my box of spare parts have been used by others more than me :D
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing