Engine tins

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
lastmanx

Engine tins

Post by lastmanx »

I will need to replace my cylinder engine tins due to cracking thin metal. Does any one know of good thick metal or stainless steel, VW factory style engine tins? The replacing of them will be a lot of work as I need to remove the engine and rear bumper so I want to do it only once. The first pair only lasted 10 years before cracking started. It's been 18 years now and is very much needed.4321432043184317
Mike-Presley

Re: Engine tins

Post by Mike-Presley »

I think they can be replaced without pulling the engine. Take the intake end castings off, remove the two screws and they should lift off. I don’t know if there are any thicker ones though.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

The upper baja bumper mounts will prevent the fan housing from lifting high enough for clearance. So it has to come off, as well as the carb and intake. By removing the motor ; I can replace the tins without scratching them. I am not looking for a short cut of labor just better tins. I don't want to do this 10 years from now as the current aftermarket tins have proven to bee too weak. I would rather find new stock quality tins instead of refurbishing a used pair. Thanks for the tip. I purposely complicated the engine removal procedure ( by adding the bumper, skid plate, and continental tire kit ) to prevent easy theft of the motor. I am a experienced buggy nut case and will get enjoyment from working on the buggy. I will of course check the clutch and re-torque the engine as well while it is out.
Willstang

Post by Willstang »

Check out Awsome Powdercoat at http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com they have a good selection of tins available and can powdercoat them for you as well. I have used them for a few parts and I think the quality is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Thanks for the help. Paint or finish is not the issue, the thin metal cracks. It appears they use scat brand tins, so I may try them. Any idea who sells scat tins without pricey powder coat?
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Try Wolfsburg West; they have OEM style products that are top notch.
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Also, I see two fuel filters. For safety, I would remove the fuel filter inline feeding the carb.
John & Sonya Kieslich
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Thank you I will try Wolfsburg west. As to the 2 filters it is a known modification for buggies mentioned in the How to prep baja buggies and dune buggies. Here's why, They are plastic (not breakable glass), by having 2 filters you have twice the chance to remove particles in the gas. by having one filter before the fuel pump you protect the screen inside the pump, that when clogs requires it's removal (not fun in the wild),by having the filter after the pump you can see fuel in it to let you know the pump has no issues. It helps when diagnosing fuel carb problems. if no fuel in first filter you know it is fuel line or tank. both filters are located in easy reach and in secure location. the motor is no longer being used in a sedan , it is powering a dune buggy and has been modified for such use. go see my tip of " the three books all newbies should read."