what style Master Cylinder is best for Manxter 2+2?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
dosbugdocs

what style Master Cylinder is best for Manxter 2+2?

Post by dosbugdocs »

My son and I are in the process of prepping a 69 IRS pan to build a Manxter 2+2 for the street. The car will have 4 wheel discs. I'm in the process of buying seals, rubber, and parts to finish the prep. For the Master Cylinder is it best to buy a dual circuit unit with the reservoir attached directly to the MC or a unit needing a remote reservoir? If a remote reservoir, where does it mount on the buggy? We don't have the body yet. How difficult is access to the MC if we go with one having the reservoir attached directly to the MC? I imagine we'll need to pull off the driver's side front wheel for access? Thanks!
jsturtlebuggy

Re: what style Master Cylinder is best for Manxter 2+2?

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I would recommend using the stock dual circuit 19mm master cylinder or the EMPI 20mm for your project.
I would also recommend using a master cylinder reservoir that fit on the master cylinder. It will fit fine with a Manxter body.
EMPI sell the reservoirs that fit the Brazilian masters and their 20mm master cylinder they sell.

If using a European master cylinder the reservoir for a Golf, Jetta, and several other vehicles fits.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
dosbugdocs

Post by dosbugdocs »

Thanks. I just ordered a German Brax. Stock was dual circuit and so is this one. I'll order a reservoir that fits directly on top of the MC. I was real active in the VW scene 40-50 years ago and have a 56 sunroof cal look in the garage but have never built a buggy. I'm blessed to be doing this with my son!
yelosr2

Post by yelosr2 »

Kind of glad I found this topic listed here. My son recently acquired a Manx SR2 and there is no place I can find to mount a remote brake fluid reservoir within the hood area. The mention of something that can install directly onto the MC sounds like an attractive option. We will be changing out the MC that is in the car, so any advice on where to find one that will work and accept a reservoir would be a big help. Any information on part numbers, manufacturer or supplier of compatible parts. We need a dual circuit type and any help is greatly appreciated. As far as we can figure out, the pan is a 1970 and that's about all we know at present.
Thanks for any and all help.
Russ
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Tom-Szwajkos

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

I wrote an article in one of the recent Manx club magazines regarding master cylinders. I modified a master cylinder from a late model Chevy pickup and it works great. You have to modify the mounting flange. I also had to use brake lines that have two different size metric fittings for my application. The GM master cylinder works fantastically and I am very pleased with its performance over the EMPI master cylinder that I replaced.