Refitting hood- high on one side

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
chopper_boy007

Refitting hood- high on one side

Post by chopper_boy007 »

G'day folks,
Been rebuilding my Manx Mk1, and getting round to fitting the hood. As a test fit, with the car fully levelled, if I line up the hood at the nose end, then level the hood at the dashboard end (spirit level across the top), there's a difference in the height of the rear dash corner above the main body on each side.
It's almost an inch difference... while it'll bolt up like that, it means that once the windscreen is on, the frame will almost touch the main body on one side, but it'll be an inch clear on the other side.
Any hints? Clues? Is this just something I need to live with?
I checked the length of the bonnet from fixed reference points on either side, just in case it's been trimmed by a previous owner... it looks to be consistent dimensions.

If there's anyone out there who's come up against this, I'd be really grateful for any insight you could offer....

Much obliged,

Billy
lastmanx

Re: Refitting hood- high on one side

Post by lastmanx »

be sure it is not hung up on the gas filler neck.
chopper_boy007

Post by chopper_boy007 »

Thanks lastmanx,
Yeah, that was my first thought, so I took the tank out completely and tried again... same problem...
It's a real puzzler... Everything is level according to the spirit guage, but the distance from the hood corner to the body (at the back) is about an inch different side to side...
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Sometimes the hood or body when removed from the mold gets warped or twisted. you may have to force open or spread the body with a jacking device which may let the hood fit better. You may also put weight on hood to let it sit better. Also though not mentioned, the fender welting used between hood and fenders can cause an issue. You may also have to file the hood for better fit. When I built my signature series Manx I was outraged it was not a simple fit and required filing (because I thought a Manx had superior fit quality). Filing is expected on any brand buggy build. The filing fixed the problem. Perhaps you should put away the level, it is only needed to build the frame. When I got my hood to fit; the hood was sloped in the center compared to the straight bottom edge of the metal windshield frame. The windshield frame to hood gasket fills the gap, but is squished on the ends. So it looks a little silly. But i'm the only one that notices it. So in conclusion don't be alarmed to file the hood (as they are made from separate molds), or to do whatever is necessary for good fit. Once together due to the curved hood and fenders nobody will notice any imperfections (including yourself). There is a saying "Fiberglass is forever, but it's not perfect". As an example if you look at any buggy from behind you will notice the rear fender edge sits more to the left side than the right. (mine is off about 1 inch). It is due to the laying up of fiberglass drying in the mold and the prying out of the mold. Known as the potato chip effect. The lean is more profound on lesser quality buggys. But in any case it is completely normal. Noticed by nobody except the knowledgeable.
Expect to spend considerable time on getting the hood to body fit as best you can. Don't worry you can latter add shiny chrome items to direct attention away from the fit. My best tip I can give is : when riviting the hood in place don't add extra rivits that will show toward the dash end. It was the mistake I made allowing the hole and rivet to show. Also the fender welting will not be water tight. Silicone or seal from underneath hood for water tight seal. (not easily done). Buggy on and keep smiling.
chopper_boy007

Post by chopper_boy007 »

Thanks again, lastmanx...
I suspected the hood might be warped... the buggy was built years ago, and I've just been rebuilding it recently... The hood was off for a while, standing upright in a hot garage which maybe didn't help...
I tried making some "control" measurements side to side, but I'd say those are inconclusive...
As you said, the curves hide some sins, and they also make it hard to measure... Hadn't heard of the potatochip effect... my buggy is also a bit off one side compared to the other at the back... I just put it down to a dodgy build by the original owner.

Reckon I'll bolt up the hood as best I can, maybe with a few sandbags in place and "tease" it into place...

Buggy on, bro!
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

The hood in the garage affected nothing. I was talking about when the hood was manufactured. You have made the same newbie mistake we all do :thinking the original builder did a lousy job. Believe the original builder did a good job. Look online or even within this site for pictures on how to spread apart the body for hood fitment. I was not joking about having to spread the body wider with a jack. I had to do it to make my hood fit. There are other tricks that seem unusual or barbaric to building buggys, but are actually normal. Your goal is to line up the hood and body to the drilled holes in the metal reinforcement piece, that is a Manx only item. I feel the spreading apart of the body is what will fix your situation. Just be careful not to scratch the paint or gel coat by using blankets under the jack. If any of this confuses you: take a break from the build and search the www until you get it. I know the tip is out there because I had not known of it.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

You might have better luck asking for tips on the Manx facebook site, as few use this site anymore.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I think the another key point is to take your time, I've seen pictures of projects where they try to shift the fiberglass a small amount let it sit and then come back and adjust just a little more. Patience is key.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Lastmanx
Excuse my throwing in my nickel's worth but negative comments don't help promote this site. There are a lot of people that for various reasons do not use Facebook so this and The Samba are their best alternatives.
We need to promote it more, gain more followers, not drive them away.

Paul
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Sorry it was not meant as a negative comment , just stating facts, as it may take awhile before answers from this site arrive. It took you 12 days to add no help to the hood issue. Don't get riled up just the facts sir. I have built restored many buggys and have used with success the answers I give. Jacking the body wider will allow the hood to fit, solving the problem. FACT.
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Sir...
I was not arguing with the advice, just the tone that had a negative tilt. I certainly understand that there are many ways to skin a cat, on this case, a Manx!
If I misinterpreted I apologize. I'm here to learn before I screw up our Tow'd build!

Paul
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

apology accepted.