Manx II Hood Removal

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mykee50

Manx II Hood Removal

Post by mykee50 »

Hi everybody, I need to get to my fuel tank. Been smelling gas fumes when full. I've never done this job before. Anyway I've taken off the windshield and all of the screws and bolts holding the hood on. I loosened the steering column U-bolts and loosened the cinch nut at the steering box. I can raise the hood in the back but can't get it to budge at the front. This has the front offset gas filler neck. Do I need to pull the steering column completely out first?

Are there any videos out there anywhere that shows this seemingly simple process?

Thanks Mike
lastmanx

Re: Manx II Hood Removal

Post by lastmanx »

Yes, the steer column must come completely out; to remove hood. You may also have to remove the dash wiring. Unless you can lift hood completely out of the way with wiring installed. Think where you will rest the hood once off, and not let it get scratched or damaged after removal. The hood removal is really a big job. It is a small job installing the hood; because the wiring, steer column, and windshield are usually not installed yet. In most buggy builds you install the hood once. That said it is not complicated and can easily be done, just time consuming. You mentioned the gas odor: I trust you tracked down the cause being the leaky gas tank. Loose gas cap, loose vent tube, and spilled gas when filling cause odor also. Have fun, I have done it a dozen times. Take All Safety Steps When Working With Fuel Systems.
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

Thanks Lastmanx, ya I've got to get to the top of the tank. The previous owner went through the tank, sealed, new sending unit, etc. I'm thinking there is a bad seal somewhere on top, probably the sending unit. There are no leaks visible. I want to put the new black nose badge on anyway. It has the little silver one now. I think I'll just raise the hood as far as I can and prop it out the way.

Thanks again for the advise!! Mike
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Be careful to mask off or somehow protect hood and adjacent areas from being scratched. It should work if not removing the tank. Just as a side note, look under buggy for visible signs of a gas leak first. Rubber hoses leak first. If you see signs from the tunnel; it is the center line within the tunnel,(big pain). Remember Fire Safety.