I wise there were more builds going on

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
langan

I wise there were more builds going on

Post by langan »

I know most of us have built at least one Buggy, but i still like seeing and reading adout others builds
langan

Re: I wise there were more builds going on

Post by langan »

I wish i proof read more
Mutterranch

Post by Mutterranch »

I recently posted a 3 part build thread (and history) thread over on the facebook burroboggies group.
I try to link it here. If that doesn’t work I’ll re-post a shorter version with pictures here soon.
Ok, here goes. This will be a three part story....
In 1967 I was a senior in high school when I bought my Burro 2nd hand. It’s a very early one with no serial no. It came with a stock 36hp and a split case tranny. It had a Calif. license but was not street legal. Then in Aug ‘68 my friend Don Campbell and I drove it from San Felipe, BC to Cabo San Lucas.
Please notice the lack of ANYTHING in the photo of the cape. Also, I’m the one in the hat. Don is the good looking one.
We ferried across from La Paz to Mazatlan to drive home. The last picture was taken on the way back, at the Tropic of Cancer.

Part 2
When I went into the service in 1969, I sold my Burro to my Dad. Somewhere along the line Dad put in a 1500cc dual port engine to go on the bus tranny I installed before selling it to him.
In 1993 I bought her back and moved up here to Montana in 1994. This is more 4x4 Pickup country than anything. So, my buggy went into the garage where she sat for 20+ years.
Then, in 2016 I found Burrobuggies.com and became inspired! the rest of this story is about her rebuilding and “Beautification”.
It all started with the brakes, then the carb. Then a little paint and a new dash.
Summer was here and we drove all over the old rocky mining / logging roads. Oh yea, She was street legal now.

Part 3
I had so much fun driving the her that Summer and we got so much attention, that I figured she deserved a trip to the “Beauty Shop”.
Last December, I ordered a 1968cc mini stroker from aircooled.net and I’m still waiting for it. I completely rebuilt the front suspension and added a front bar to the roll cage then stripped her down to the frame for paint. Unfortunately, when I drained the tranny before removing it, I found needle bearings in the oil....bummer! Oh well, now I had an excuse to give her a brand new Rancho Performance pro street transaxle....Cool!
Next came the sheet metal. 16ga aluminum and a little powder coated color. I bought diamond plate aluminum semi truck fenders for the rear and boat trailer fenders for the front and cut them all to fit.
I’m expecting seats from PRP to ship tomorrow and seat belts too.
I’m dying for the motor to show up. Otherwise, The old girl is ready for the parade!
Last edited by Mutterranch on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
langan

Post by langan »

Thanks i do not like FB. Love the story
langan

Post by langan »

I hope you figure out how to post some pictures.
langan

Post by langan »

Wow nice Burro the pictures opened. It looks like a blast
ManxBug

Post by ManxBug »

Here's my restoration.

http://manxbug.ca/buggy.htm
langan

Post by langan »

Cool to have your dad's car. My friend and i build one in autoshop around same time he still has it. Your finished build looks fantastic. Maybe you can pass it on to your kids. Thanks for posting.