Buggy out in the snow

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Momboy007

Buggy out in the snow

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,
I keep my buggy in Big Bear California where it snows from time to time. I currently have a soft top but no garage, how would you keep the snow out of it. How do you do it? Recommendations, I am considering a hard top, but have no idea where to buy one for a glitterbug, plus, I think with a hardtop it will be very hard for an old guy like me to get in and out of, the soft top makes it hard enough.

Thanks all in advance

PS, the buggy is running like a clock now.
lastmanx

Re: Buggy out in the snow

Post by lastmanx »

for storage harbor freight has tent garages for around $200.00, they won.t hold a snow load. if you need heavy duty for heavy snow they cost about $2000.00 if you don't plan on driving it in the snow it can be stored outside like I have done for years and am doing now. park buggy on a good quality plastic tarp 10x20. since you won't be using it drain all gas out or use quality gas stabilizer ( I prefer gas removal) remove battery. put 4 or more boxes of moth balls in it spread out in different areas I use spray can tops as containers (moth ball keep mice out that will otherwise eat your wiring and seats) then put quality car cover over buggy. tie up the tarp with rope up around buggy. take another 10x20 tarp cover over buggy. tie it around buggy. walk away done. the bottom tarp prevents moisture rising from the ground getting to buggy. the car cover prevents top tarp from scratching the paint and keeps out rain snow. it will work it has for me even in heavy snow. in spring put in new gas and battery. start buggy with the coil wire disconnected until oil pressure warn light goes out. reconnect coil wire start engine let idle for awhile before moving buggy. you want the engine to be lubricated before it starts to prevent damage that's why you pull coil wire. if you plan to drive the buggy in the snow during winter build a garage and plan on being cold. face the facts they are meant for warm weather. you can drive a motorcycle in winter I have but its not fun. buggys don't have windshield defrosters so driving could get unsafe. just saying.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Sounds like a plan

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

it could be a long cold winter, good time to snuggle up with a good book or 3. just saying :wink: