Where to install a remote oil cooler

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mightymanx

Where to install a remote oil cooler

Post by mightymanx »

I have a Manx I and installed a larger engine in it. Now I am installing a remote oil cooler. My question is where do most people or where is the best place to install it. The cooler measure 10" x 11" x 4 1/4" with the fan.
calvin

Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler

Post by calvin »

I was going to ask this same question. I have no size restrictions, as I have not bought a cooler yet, but plan to.

A cooler would have to look good on a buggy. Ideal is just up in the air stream above the back of the body, but I want something that looks better than that. This would be for casual off roading, it is not a race buggy, so level of compromise in packaging is necessary.

What have others had god luck with.

Calvin
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

I want mine to be out of sight. I have already ordered a 72 plate with a 10 inch 1000 cfm fan. The cooler is 10 x 11 inches. I was told that most people put them over the transmission but that is in a bug and not a manx buggy. Since the spare tire well has several curved sides to it I don't think it is the best area to install it. I am thinking about mounting it to two pieces of aluminum angle and mount the angle to the seat area just behind the battery box and cantilever it out over the transmission with it blowing down over the transmission. In this location it should be able to get plenty of air with the fan and should be protected.
This was my thought. I think it will fit but I won't know for sure until I pull the engine and try it.

Post by 1856 »

langan

Post by langan »

Is there a way to view link without Yuku? I have never been able to log on to it.

Post by 1856 »

EZ, go to Yuku and sign in...
or
rbcdunebuggy.org
Last edited by 1856 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1856 »

Looks good Bill...
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey "1856" Mark... I'm a member of yuku, but when I sign in & try to see the link on the RBC page, it says I'm banned from the RBC & not allowed to see it!!! Any other way to see the link???
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
andygere

Post by andygere »

Has anyone put an oil cooler in a vented side pod like on a Manxter? I think it will work, but would love to see what others have done rather than reinvent the wheel.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We have radiators in the Manxter sidepods, works OK for that situation. Tom
andygere

Post by andygere »

Tom, do you have any photos of how you mounted them? I assume they have electric fans?
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Update on the oil cooler installation. I hope this will help anyone else that has the same situation that I have. I installed the cooler between the spare tire well and the battery box and attached it to the body. First attempt was with the 10 inch fan on it. The fan was too large and hit the top of the transaxle so I went with an 8 inch fan from Summit Racing. This was a tight fit and I angled the cooler slightly with the front end lower than the back which was almost touching the body. Since it is has not been warm enough when I am home to go for a ride I am not sure of it performs but when the thermostat cones on after idling it does blow a lot of very warm air. I also installed a thermostat from Summit Racing that is actually installed in a matching AN fitting. The first thermostat was faulty and they replaced it with no problem. I did use teflon SS braided lines with 8AN fittings for all the lines.
langan

Post by langan »

There's mine. Out of engine to fan switch, thermostat if hot on to cooler then back through filter and into motor. 6" fan on cooler, #8an lines. If it still had flat fiberglass body it would bolt with the 1"tall rubber isolators from Empi. Venting on engine is both valve covers, fuel pump and oil fill