Shifter with trigger

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Momboy007

Shifter with trigger

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,
Another question for you, I just got this buggy and I do not like the shifter on it, it has a pull up type trigger to find reverse and I have a hard time finding first gear, seems I keep finding 3rd gear just fine, any recommendations?

Thanks all again,

Rick
Chicago Joe

Re: Shifter with trigger

Post by Chicago Joe »

Try adjusting the shifter linkage and the shifter plate under the shifter.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

I just spoke with the original owner of the buggy and it has a very very short throw shift on it, should I go with something more conventional?

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

your trigger shifter is considered a upgrade compared to a stock shifter. go look at and try the shifter in a stock beetle to see the difference. because a buggy is cut shorter so is the shift rod in the tunnel. not always done accurately. there was a adjustable length end that could be welded on the end making fit better.look in your tunnel it may be there. I installed one when I built my buggy. with that said it took hours and many adjustments to dial it all in. the trigger shifter is adjusted the same way as a stock shifter. a stock shifter can be misaligned and act the same way finding third gear. what you are describing sounds like a simple adjustment of the 2 bolts that hold the shifter in place. small movements of only 1/8 inches to 1/4 will dramatically effect it. note when the trigger shifter is adjusted properly it will lean slightly towards the passenger seat when in neutral. if in neutral it is straight up it is out of adjustment and you have found the problem. this issue exists for all beetles its just a vw thing so don't get hung up on it. expect to spend a lot of time on it to get it right. once done it will never give you a problem again. always mark the bolt locations before removing them should you have to service something in the future.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have a trigger shifter and it shifts very smoothly.

The best thing you can do is install an adjustable end on your shift rod.

After welding one on at the correct length you now have adjustable length and also you can adjust the side to side.

Here is the adjustable shift rod end.......

What I did was get a hydraulic fitting cap and drill out a small amount of the thread and then press the cap onto the end of the adjuster.
What that does is give you a little more meat so you can drill a 5/16ths inch hole through the fitting to connect to the newer style shift rod connector.

Here it is with the cap installed and hole drilled. I then connected it to the shift rod connector.

If you choose to do this style connection make sure you get the CB Performance Rhino shift rod connector. It is much better quality than the Empi style and makes for a much more solid connection with little to no play.

Here it is again.

A connection like this acts just like a universal joint so if the shift rod isn't straight it really doesn't matter. It will pivot on the connector bolt.
When I shortened my shift rod I just cut a measured amount off the end and then welded the adjuster to the end.

With the adjuster length set in the middle of the adjuster when everything is in neutral and the length set close....hook everything up and leave the adjuster nut loose.
Put the transmission in reverse.
Now put the shifter in reverse and hold it to the back and left.
Tighten the adjuster nut.
Use the shifter to check the gears. It should shift with ease.

I am using a (Hurst copy) Empi shifter and I have never had trouble shifting.
I can slam gears and never miss a shift.........well.....one time when I was being a show off......I felt like an idiot...... :roll: :roll: :oops: Revved to 6300 rpm ...... :roll: :oops: :cry:

It might sound complicated but it really is easier to do it than explain it.

Here is the shifter.

Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello Clone bug,
I actually have that adjustable part on my Bug, but I still have a hard time between finding first and 3rd gear, as it is so very close. I just bought a EMPI shifter, are these hard to install? The trigger shifter has such short throw a old guy like me cannot get it sorted out between gears.

Thanks,

Rick
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Any of the aftermarket shifters are going to be shorter throw then a stock one.
I would recommend installing a stock shifter with its' longer throw and get use to driving the buggy and then once you have learned the shifting technique, install the aftermarket shifter if you want to.

One thing to know is to get stock shifter into reverse you have to push down on shifter before shifting it over to the left and back.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Thanks JSTURTLE BUGGY,

I went and got a stock looking EMPI shifter yesterday and hope to install it this Weekend. It does indeed have a longer throw than what is in there. I had a buddy with a stock shifter in it and had no trouble at all, hopefully this will be the same after the swap.
I do know about reverse on the stock unit, but thanks for reminding me, should this be an easy install?

Thanks all for your help

Rick
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The shift plate has to be installed in correct position. It has a raise section on one side (looks like a ski slope) that goes towards the right side facing up.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,

Well, I just got the buggy out of the shop and went to install my new EMPI stock shifter (Please recall I am removing my short throw trigger handle shifter) It went on very easily, but now it grinds going into first gear, it seems 2, 3 and 4th gear are easy to find, but the grinding to get into first cannot be good!!!! Is there an easy fix/adjustment for this

Thanks in advance for all your help

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

first off you should only shift into first when completely stopped. down shifting into first is a bad idea. depending on year of trans first gear may not be synchronized. if this is not the case then: continue to adjust the shifter in small amounts. yes this can take awhile. it adjusts the same way as shifter you removed. once you get it correct mark its location by paint marks on bolts or entire housing. Tip as a rule always mark its location before unbolting(if it shifts good) even in a stock beetle. don't stress its a vw thing, you'll get it .
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello Lastmanx,
I do not try to put it into first until the buggy is stopped, however, even when stopped it grinds, which it not do with the short throw shift, so I do believe it is misadjusted, what way should I try to go with the new shifter?? I know I have room to move it forward and backwards, but do I also have room left to right? if so, which way do I start moving it after loosening it?

Thanks,

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

yes left and right. loosen top bolt more than rearward. try not to move location of rear bolt. top move left or right whichever works to stop grinding. worst case you may need to file top hole to elongate it whichever side seems to work. in some cases before you get file a slight tap with hammer may get it where you need. if you can't get it sell buggy and buy an automatic trans jeep. :angel: :D just kidding. keep at it you can do this yourself. whoever told you dunebuggys are easy to work on lied,as you are learning.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Did you get it fixed?
I am trying to figure out how you could get 1st gear to grind, with you push the shifter forward, you can only go into 1st or 3rd. Should not be any grinding in either gear unless clutch is not releasing or, Other reason would be if 1st gear syncro is completely worn out. When they do wear the trick is to shift into 2nd gear first before shifting into 1st gear. This slows the mainshaft down enough to get 1st gear from stop spinning to be able to shift into it.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,

I was just told by VW Paradise in San Marcos that if it grinds only in first and reverse, the clutch is simply misadjusted, could anyone verify this before I adjust it?

Thanks,

Rick