how to mount a spare tire

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
lastmanx

how to mount a spare tire

Post by lastmanx »

The beach I drive on requires a pay permit. The rules for that permit require a full size spare tire. My first buggy had a removable f/glass hard top, which I adapted a roof rack and the spare mounted tire. It meant I was unable to drive as a full convertable 3248. My second buggy I mounted it hinged over center gas filler on hood3306. My third I mounted it on the rear double tube bumper in a continental kit3338, with the license plate light on it. I have never had to change a flat tire on the sand, and only seen one other person get a flat tire on the sand. They did not change the flat tire and instead drove off on the flat tire. That act made a real mess of the path. I know the Manx was designed to carry a spare behind the drivers seat, as my signature series came with the bracket to do so. How many members carry a spare and how is it carried? I don't mean a can of "Fix A flat". I ask this because all cars used to have spare tires as standard equipment. I have picked up screws in my tires from street driving: but fixed them with the tire repair butyl gummy strand kits after pulling out the screw. I do recommend carrying one. Flats happen. So what clever ways have you come up with to carry a spare?
jsturtlebuggy

Re: how to mount a spare tire

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes I carry a spare at times. Also carry and extra buggy too.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970