Dual master cylinder ?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
eurekagary

Dual master cylinder ?

Post by eurekagary »

This is what happens on a 15 year build. I have an ATE master cylinder with a Volvo reservoir. I installed this a long time ago 10 years plus. Never filled the system till today. Front brakes fluid flowed fine, but the rears look like they are clogged, I will pull it off tomorrow. Should I just order a new MC or try to repair this. I am sure the wheel cylinder are the same so should I replace them too? I see AC industries thru SoCal imports, sell MC with reservoir, anyone try or using these. Price is cheap. I know brakes are pretty important.
I guess I should have filled the system way back then
Thanks
Gary and Annie Dam
eurekagary

Re: Dual master cylinder ?

Post by eurekagary »

What are you all using for your dual master cylinder and wheel cylinder? Anyone using AC industries from SoCal imports?
Gary and Annie Dam
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

My experience with master cylinder sold by So Cal is I bought one and it sat on the shelf for a couple of years before I needed to use it. It had a bad circuit in it and it was to long of time period to return it. Some times the cheapest is not always the best.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We are using a dual master cylinder from A C Industries on a 4 wheel disk brake kit on our '68 Manx ('62 chassis) and it is working fine. However, it is the 1st one I have ever put on that should have been "bench bleed". I ended up having to crack the outlet lines to get the air out of it and get the system working. Tom
eurekagary

Post by eurekagary »

Thanks guys, Do you think since the whole brake system was never filled that it's dried out and I should replace the all the hardware? I noticed the the rear chamber of the master reservoir won't suck down. The front looks like it's fine. Maybe I have the same issue you had Tom. I need to play with it some more.
Thanks again
Gary and Annie