Led replacement bulbs?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
eurekagary

Led replacement bulbs?

Post by eurekagary »

I am running 1967 beetle rear tail light assemble and Lucas front turn assembly. The rear turn signal is a 1156 single contact bulb and a dual 1157 bulb for tail and brake lights. The front runs a dual contact 1157 bulb. I want to switch to led "bulbs". Do I need resistors on the tail and brakes or just on the turn signals? Or if I leave the front turns as normal bulbs but change the rear turn bulb to led, will there be enough resistance on the circuit?. Does anyone make led bulb replacements with resistors built in?
Thanks
Gary and Annie dam
pongo

Re: Led replacement bulbs?

Post by pongo »

I replaced my rear signal/brake lights with a LED bulbs I picked up in Walmart for about fourteen dollars. Working nicely, without addition resistors needed. Still running incandescent bulbs up front.

product picture looks identical to what I installed, although a different brand.
Paul
ECV-Keys 2016
Cana-Laska 2016
Manx Club B.O.D.
Iron Buggy Award
ECVW 2015
Long Haul League Award
ECVW 2014
M2746C922S
TF449F912E
M1814D822S
M3234G910E
M3149F912E
Mike-Presley

Post by Mike-Presley »

There is also a led replacement for the entire insides of the stock tail lamps. Not sure of the cost. I run led in all of the turn signals and you need a led specific flasher with a ground wire. The parts guys said "oh yea this flasher will work", several didn't. I got mine from Speedway motors and it has worked for years.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Be sure to check the light output after you make the switch. I tried the LED's in the rear fixture of a '66 once and found that since the LED's are not a point source (the LED's are spaced around the fixture as pictured above, not a single filament for which the fixture was designed for), the amount of light reflected was insufficient to work properly and I returned the lights. So far as a resistor, If you go with a flasher specifically designed for LED use, you don't need the load resistor. The best I've found are at http://www.superbrightleds.com . Best prices too.
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

I have found that just having the incandescent bulb in flasher light in the stock speedometer is enough resistance to get the LED lights to work in both the front turn signals and the rear lights/turn signal/stop lights. I have used the stock flasher in a number of buggys with LED lights. I have also used LEDs in the dash and then just hung an incandescent bulb hanging off of the flasher. Just what I do...