Starter issues

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Jdecker

Starter issues

Post by Jdecker »

I have a 2332 new motor and wiring. New High torq starter. So this is the problem, first turn of the starter switch starter will engage normal. But after that to try to restart engine, starter doesn't engage all the way into fly wheel, doesn't throw all the way out at least 75% of the time. Have had the motor out a couple of times, and checked fly wheel, and starter gear all looks normal. Any thoughts? Thanks Jeff
Sparkster

Re: Starter issues

Post by Sparkster »

It could be a heat related problem with the starter motor if it works fine when the engine is cold but after it gets heated up, there is some binding or other issue that restricts the moving gear shaft.
Jdecker

Post by Jdecker »

Ya, I agree but it does it when first start up too, "that's the kicker". So with my cb fuel injected motor it's cold blooded. Constantly trying to turn it over trying to get gear engaged and catches every so often. Flywheel is good teeth look good, teeth on starter look good, can't find any binding on throw out shaft. What do you think? Thanks Jeff
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

Even though the starter is new, you may have a bad solenoid.
Jdecker

Post by Jdecker »

Very good point!, just been exhausting all other ideas before I buy another starter. Or change out the solinoid on that stater it's a hi- torq one. Don't know if you can? I'll look into it. Thanks for the reality check. Jeff
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

What size battery cables are you using?
Do you have a ground strap from chassis to transaxle?
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Jdecker

Post by Jdecker »

Did start to change them out, had brand new #4's, then changed out the positive with a new #2. This made no difference, and yes I do have the grounding strap to Trany and pan.
I had read somewhere on samba about the size of battery cables, (and that's why I changed the positive), talked to race shop in town they suggested to use welding cables.
langan

Post by langan »

Trade starter back for new one. Sometimes it's just easier to quite thinking and just change parts. At least if problem continues you know it's not starter.
Had szme problem with alt. It would fry coil made no sence replaced and all is good
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Ok sound like wiring is good.
What starter are you using? IMI?
What transaxle do you have?
The reason why I ask is if you have a Bus 091 trans and bell housing it uses a different starter then and 002 Bus and Bug transaxle. 091 starter has to travel further to engage flywheel ring gear.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Jdecker

Post by Jdecker »

Your right, that was my last resort. I been prolonging that trouble shooting. The motor has less than 7 hrs on it, and the buggy restore was done two years ago. So dealing with CB performance fuel injection issues, and chasing gremlins it's just another re- buy. Thanks for the advise just needed to hear from some others before I throw down another 250. Thanks again