Fix before Somebody Gets Killed

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
L8ndeb

Fix before Somebody Gets Killed

Post by L8ndeb »

Hello All,

I am a new member to the club, and this is obviously my first post. I recently acquired what I thought was going to be a Manx. It had all the tell tale signs. Raised area on the hood for the badge, re-enforced fiber glassed tubing running under the both side of the body, spare tire and battery wells, etc. Anyway, I bought it, and after sending in pics, Winnie determined that it is a "Son of Manx", one of the many clones of the era. :cry: -
Anyway, the buggy needed work, floorpan replacement, fiberglass repair, gas tank had rust, the typical things from sitting around not being used. I started to tear into it last weekend. As I did, I did notice some welds that looked like a person just learning to weld had done. That made me a little sceptical about the whole chassis, so, after I lifted the body and cut out the floorpans, I ground away some of the "weld" material around the cut area of the tunnel. As I was grinding, a powdery substance was coming off instead of sparks. I finally got sparks when I had ground down to the level of the tunnel metal. To my dismay, the whole area was saturated with JB Weld to hide the HORRENDOUS weld job. This is what I found:
[urlImageBuggy Tunnel by l8ndeb, on Flickr][/url]

I can't believe somebody would have put this on the road. And that is just the drivers side. I haven't dug into the passenger side yet. Anyway, I am looking for some tips on how to handle this. The measurements are off when taken in a criss cross pattern by more than 3/4". So......it needs to be taken apart, squared up, and re-welded. BTW, the tunnel is not level as well. If anybody has any step by step procedure, especially on how and where to take the squaring measurements, then, how to hold everything together while welding.
This is my first buggy, and I want to make it right and safe. Also, $2K for a Berrien chassis is out of my league, since I used my saved $$$ for the purchase of the buggy.
TIA
Leyton in Reno
5150bossman

Re: Fix before Somebody Gets Killed

Post by 5150bossman »

JB Weld - Strong as steel :oops: NOT... The Manx Club site use to have a resource article describing how to fix stress cracks in the pan (no longer on the site). We did this on our buggy 10 years ago to fix the stress cracks that can occur near the heater handle slots by the e-brake. You could try asking the web master if that article is still available. If not, sounds like a body-off resto is in order. Once you get the pan squared up and re-welded, you can put I believe 1/8" x 2" steel straps over the welds (bent one into a 'U' shape to fit over the tunnel weld etc) and weld them into place to strengthen the existing welds. Also, there are several members in your area that might be willing to give you a hand. In the mean time, try this article. :mrgreen:

http://www.manxclub.com/Resources-Tech4.htm
L8ndeb

Post by L8ndeb »

Thanks for the reply bossman. Actually, those aren't even stress cracks. It is just a big gap due to whoever built this thing, not grinding down the cut in the right area to make it flush and fit together. The more I type about this the madder I get!
Anyway, I have already pulled up the article you linked to. Looks like it will be my guide while I get this fixed. Need to go out and buy a couple of come alongs and pipe clamps. And from the sound of it, measure, measure, measure, then measure again. I will be re-inforcing the weld area with 2" steel material for strength. I also think I will weld up the heater handle slots to avoid the cracks that could develop there.
Anybody else that would like to chime in, I welcome all advice.
Leyton in Reno
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Here is a pic of the cracks that we found. I knew we had a problem when I could feel the body flex whenever we went around a turn.

Here are a couple of pics of the repair after we re-welded the cracks below and welded the straps over the top.

And here is the final repair with one strap bent into a 'U' over the area where you have the crack and four other straight pieces welded over the heater control slots then the seams welded up after.

Last edited by 5150bossman on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
L8ndeb

Post by L8ndeb »

Bossman, thanks for the effort, but your images are not showing on your post. At least on my computer.

Leyton
Leyton in Reno
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

I can see the picture just fine.
L8ndeb

Post by L8ndeb »

DIESELDOOG wrote:I can see the picture just fine.

Must be on my end.
Leyton in Reno
calvin

Post by calvin »

I can't see it either. Just some sort of symbol I have seen with a broken image link.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I think I got it now. Can you see them?
Last edited by 5150bossman on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L8ndeb

Post by L8ndeb »

Bossman, good to go!!
Leyton in Reno
L8ndeb

Post by L8ndeb »

That looks pretty darn solid! And nice welding to boot.
Leyton in Reno
parmaynu

Post by parmaynu »

Turnkey Manx sell a neat bracket thing that welds over the join to strengthen it. Looks a good solution.
L8ndeb

Post by L8ndeb »

parmaynu wrote:Turnkey Manx sell a neat bracket thing that welds over the join to strengthen it. Looks a good solution.
Hey Parmaynu,

Would that be the hand brake support gusset you are talking about?
Leyton in Reno
parmaynu

Post by parmaynu »

Yeah that's the one!
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Hi Leyton,
This is Bob in Reno. Give me a call some time would like to check your buggy out.