Found the issue with my speedometer serder unit.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
vincent9993

Found the issue with my speedometer serder unit.

Post by vincent9993 »

Ever since I installed our Speedhut gauges, the speedometer was never of much use... The needle would bounce about +/-20mph and even had momentary 100mph stints. A few weeks ago it had gotten very worst and I decided to look at the sender unit we had on.

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp? ... 13-16-9290

I 1st tried to use a drill on the sender and I was getting a very steady reading, weird! On further inspection when I looped the cable back in the spindle and turned the wheel be hand, I noticed the cable would 'bounce'. It would stick then turn rapidly and stick again while the wheel was turning at constant speed.

Long story short, the magnetic pickup sender was good but the cable was bad. I replaced the cable and we now have a very stable speed reading. If you're using one of these sender units for VDO or Speedhut and you're getting a bouncing speed reading, check the actual cable.

Thought I'd share.
Wazabug2

Re: Found the issue with my speedometer serder unit.

Post by Wazabug2 »

And so, Vincent, your picture begs the question, was the photo taken before or after the repair? LOL.....
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Wazabug2 wrote:And so, Vincent, your picture begs the question, was the photo taken before or after the repair? LOL.....
I did say there was a +/-20mph bounce...
Jon

Post by Jon »

Vincent. Had same issue and switched to GPS pick up from Summit Racing. Solved every issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Vincent,
Did your Speed Hut speedometer come with a GPS sender? The Speed Hut speedometer that is in the yellow SS came with one. And once it was attached to the speedometer it worked great.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

jsturtlebuggy wrote:Vincent,
Did your Speed Hut speedometer come with a GPS sender? The Speed Hut speedometer that is in the yellow SS came with one. And once it was attached to the speedometer it worked great.
There are 2 versions of the Speedhut speedometer, the one I have is using a pulse signal.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Summit
Part no. CYB 69248E
GPS Interface Module / Speedo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk