Need Help in California(LA COUNTY)

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Igor&Steph

Need Help in California(LA COUNTY)

Post by Igor&Steph »

Hello buggy community,
My name is Igor and I need some help finishing my buggy. I want to take my wife to the Big Bear event in mid July but having difficulty finishing my project. We have been fighting stage 4 breast cancer that my wife Stephanie was diagnosed with about 8 moths ago and would like to take her for a little get away. Not asking for charity or pity just some help with finishing things up. The buggy is starts and drives but is runs a little rich even though I rebuilt and adjusted the carburetor. The rear wheel axle seal is leaking even though I replaced it to the best of my knowledge. And last the electrical has been a pain for a newbie buggy enthusiast. I live in Reseda, CA and would love if someone knew someone or can give a quote on how much I need to get help with my project. Thank you
manxvair

Re: Need Help in California(LA COUNTY)

Post by manxvair »

Igor, I live just over the hill from you in Simi Valley, I'm on the road right now (see the shuffle to buffalo, in the dune buggy travel stories and adventures thread) I will try to reach you when I return on the 28th to see if I can still help.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Igor&Steph

Post by Igor&Steph »

Ok cool thanks a lot manxvair. Can't wait to use the dune buggy and go to big bear with everyone. Talk to you soon have fun on the road be safe.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Igor, I work in the SF Valley. PM me your address and phone number and I'll see if I can stop by and take a look some afternoon this week after work. In the mean time, tell us what you have and what it's doing (pics may help) and we can try and give you some suggestions here on the board.
Igor&Steph

Post by Igor&Steph »

So the issues I'm having are
1)My carburetor (Solex 34 pict/3) is blowing black smoke out of the exhaust pipe upon accelaration and my spark plugs are black when I pull them out to clean them. I rebuild the carburetor and adjusted the two screws with the 2 and a half turn recommendation that I found on line.
2)The rear axle seal was replaced again by me (the common denominator of my issues)but I still see a small leak coming from the drum (from the backing plate).
3)Electrical...I bought a universal REBEL wiring harness that came with a lot more wires then I thought the buggy needs. The engine is wired up but the alternator is not charging the battery. I have head lights and tail lights but no brake lights. Turn signals are another misery I mean mystery.
Things are really close to being done, just not sure why its not getting done the right way. Thanks for your help
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Igor, it was nice to meet you. Hopefully I didn't leave your head spinning! I couldn't find my torque dude for the rear axle nut (Garage isn't the most pristine place in the house :shock: ). Had to spend the evening trying (unsuccessfully) to fix a toilet :cry: . Off to home depot tomorrow after work for a $1 plastic part... I will look again when I get a day off and I can look in the daylight (I know its in there some where.... :crazy: ) . Here is a link to some different motor adjustments you can make. Be sure your electrical is functioning before tackling the carb (too little voltage can cause all sorts of hard to diagnose problems).

http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

Here are a couple of simple wiring diagrams for the idiot light (be sure its a regular light bulb. An LED bulb won't work).

Igor&Steph

Post by Igor&Steph »

Hey Mike, THANK you so much for stopping by yesterday. I now know what needs to be done in what order. And thanks for the electrical diagram, which shows that this idiot needs his idiot light hooked up so it will charge the battery. I will work on that first then tackle the carburetor. Don't worry about the torque of the axle since its not leaking excessively just a minor drip, I will get to it later. Thanks again for your help good luck with toilet.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

So Igor, how's the work going? Did those diagrams help? What's next on the list?
Igor&Steph

Post by Igor&Steph »

After you came by, we have been really busy with cancer stuff. Going to hospital daily for some tests for new clinical trials. I will get some work done this weekend. The diagrams you provided defiantly helped out with why the battery isn't charging. Unfortunately I don't think we will make it to big bear this year. The timing is bad with the beginning of new treatment on July 8th and the unknown side effects. Again thank you so much for coming over and helping out.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

No problems. Sorry you two wont be there. Was looking forward to you both getting the buggy on the road. The wind in your hair while driving through the trees (or desert, or just about any place!) helps put a new perspective on things (and is just plain fun!). When we first got our buggy, we had to rebuild it and missed a couple of runs we wanted to go to. And then it was like one of those reality shows getting everything back together before the deadline so we could finally get to a run.

So long as it fits into your schedule, don't stop working on it. We are all (patiently) waiting to see you get it back on the road :mrgreen: Any help you need, just ask. And don't forget to take pictures along the way so we can follow along with you.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

So Igor, how's the build coming? Need any help that I may be able to offer you? I can stop by any afternoon after I get off work and toss anything from ideas to wrenches around if you want. :D
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

Mike,
You're a good man.... but I already knew that.
Ed