Original Meyers Manx Soft Top...

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Siggymanx33

Original Meyers Manx Soft Top...

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I'm looking for someone that has an original Meyers Manx soft top.

I'd like to see if I can rent the top from you to have my my local shop replicate it. I'd be willing to pay for the use, ship back and forth fully insured and whatever else I can do to insure a great experience.

While my guy can do it based on pictures and archives, etc. I figure if I'm going to pay what it takes, I might as well do it as correct as possible.

I'm looking for the top with the bows and the three window portion in the rear as well as side curtains.

Thanks on advance for any leads…...
langan

Re: Original Meyers Manx Soft Top...

Post by langan »

How I you doing with top? I would like to buy one if it helps with costs
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Depending on price, I'd also be interested. I know I'm going to pay for a quality top, but I can't go too high at this point. I've not shopped around at all, but have heard anywhere from $300-900 for material and sewing from various people here.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

abgiles wrote:Depending on price, I'd also be interested. I know I'm going to pay for a quality top, but I can't go too high at this point. I've not shopped around at all, but have heard anywhere from $300-900 for material and sewing from various people here.
Brian,

As with anything and everything your mileage may vary... with that said a complete replication of my top by the same shop that originally made it, cost ~$850.

Here is a picture of my top. There are more detailed pictures in my gallery.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

Full tops coming soon! :shh:
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

Original style 3 window top with side curtains. Original style top bows. About $200-$250 in materials. Many hours in fitting and sewing.

Click to enlarge. Go to images for more pictures.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Brian if you are still in Irmo you are welcome to come and see my top. I had it made using Buds old top and pictures of the top on my manx in the 70's. The top was made locally and in 2006 or 07 it was around $450.00.
Timinator

Post by Timinator »

I had a custom towing cover made for a racecar I owned that I had made at a sail shop. They made custom sails and boat covers. I'm thinking of bringing my buggy back and having them match up the snaps and make a top. Need to get it down there and ask them then I'll repost. The custom racecar towing cover was only $400.
VW Aircooled Society

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

I have been looking at these tops and the price is way too high at $349.00 plus shipping.

I am going to have our upholstery design team come up with one that is a lot more affordable lets say maybe less than $250.00 range.

The material is Sumbrella and it comes in an array of colors...

When we have something i will share it and its cost so more people can have access to it...
Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus
Kustoms

Post by Kustoms »

VW Aircooled Society wrote:I have been looking at these tops and the price is way too high at $349.00 plus shipping.

I am going to have our upholstery design team come up with one that is a lot more affordable lets say maybe less than $250.00 range.

The material is Sumbrella and it comes in an array of colors...

When we have something i will share it and its cost so more people can have access to it...
Did you think that there is a reason that the Sombrero costs $309.95? They are made with Cardio Vinyl and are manufactured using all the proper equipment. They have been extensively tested and are a great product that I am very proud of! As of late there has been a few tops being offered in Sunbrella, We have tried this material and found it to not stand up to speed and long term use. However, With others offering it and if this is what the masses want, I will be able to make them cheaper and better then anyone. I can pump them out for about $125.00 to $150.00. BTW, we are moving our location to Texas this fall to winter and developing and producing only our buggy products. We have had new full tops already designed and almost ready to go when the new building is done. As most of you know, we where working on a business venture that another company pulled out of so this is why we have not been present for the past year plus. Tom, Tj Kustoms, "Upholstery design team!"
Kustoms

Post by Kustoms »

BTW, Check out our new multi (5) piece carpet kits being debuted at the Manx In The Middle event! Image
VW Aircooled Society

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

Kustoms wrote:
Did you think that there is a reason that the Sombrero costs $309.95? They are made with Cardio Vinyl and are manufactured using all the proper equipment. They have been extensively tested and are a great product that I am very proud of! As of late there has been a few tops being offered in Sunbrella, We have tried this material and found it to not stand up to speed and long term use. However, With others offering it and if this is what the masses want, I will be able to make them cheaper and better then anyone. I can pump them out for about $125.00 to $150.00. BTW, we are moving our location to Texas this fall to winter and developing and producing only our buggy products. We have had new full tops already designed and almost ready to go when the new building is done. As most of you know, we where working on a business venture that another company pulled out of so this is why we have not been present for the past year plus. Tom, Tj Kustoms, "Upholstery design team!"
Good deal.. then when you have them the ones you will make for $125.00 to $150.00 I would like to buy one .. like this i dont have to make them as we have more than enough on the other Bug & Bus projects. Our thing is restorarions of Type 1 and Type 2's but not Dune Buggies.. this one fell on our lap as it was originally intended to be a flip only but now we are having to do it all completely since i siphoned about 8 gallons of water from the gas tank :lol:

When do you project you will have them in production ?
Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus