Idling at 30°

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Lee-Hoffer

Re: Idling at 30°

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Then the issue does seem to point towards something with your buggy. See you at Saint Joseph's.

Lee
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

I agree with Jon... your Kadrons need to be dialed in again! Go thru & "zero out" your carb linkage! BTW... which linkage are you using??? As they say... start from scratch & go back to basics!
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Problem solved. I can't believe it's idling at 7 1/2 degrees, turns out that carbon fiber aluminum mix cam gear flexed and jumped a tooth because of that engine backfire I had a month ago. Sorry I can't do this according to Page 106 of the Shadetree Mechanic Book, it's better to tell the truth even if it makes you look bad. This is what I found, my buddy Jon at Topline Parts said it's one of three things, bad timing light operator or idling too low or timing marks on the pulley are wrong. It turned out to be the carburetors were too low, I raised the idle on both carbs and got more adjustment on the timing toward 7 1/2° after the third carburetor adjust I was at the correct timing. I have never heard of this or have I ever seen this before. I'm just super happy it wasn't anything internally. So two good things became of this, Wrecker is running pretty good and we have a great reference link.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Great news, congratulations on the successful repair.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Lee-Hoffer

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Jay, you pretty much said you don't bet against Jon because he knows his VWs. I've certainly come to trust him. Congrats on the free fix, even if it did provide some trying times.

Lee
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

It seems that Father Jon at the Church of Topline came through again.
Ed
Lee-Hoffer

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Indeed! We would use Holy Water in the radiators, but you see the problem with that idea...