Super Case

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Old-Towd

Super Case

Post by Old-Towd »

So Buggy Buddy's , anyone played with what they call the Super Case?  Looks like CB performance / Dan's / Empi and others have the same cases for sale for about $700 +.  I can't seem to find any other cases out there. With the age and limited supply of good used V.W. cases makes me want look at new cases. I'm building a 1915 right now and with the case machining it cost me a little over $300 and that's not the price of a case. My next engine will be a 2175 so the next case work will be more.  Also, I'm going to grind my rockers for the ball foot adjusting screw.  While I was looking at the info on it, they were talking about grooving the inside of the rocker where it sits on the shaft so the oil from the push rod would go directly to the adjuster.  Plus, they were talking about grooving the lifters so you get oil pressure continuously to the rocker.  Has anyone played with this?  So, with my next engine 2175, the biggest advantages of the Super Case is no clearances needed, in fact no machining is needed, and Gene Berg makes a statement on his site that every time a case is worked on its life expectancy decreases along with lower oil pressure.  
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
Tom-Kathleen

Super Case

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The oiling system information is here - http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/hvx-mods.html 

I used a new Aluminum case to build the 1915cc engine that was in Kathleen's Manxter before the Subaru.  It worked out well, came completely machined and clearanced for much larger than that.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
jsturtlebuggy

Super Case

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

When the aluminum cases first came out there where problems with them. I think most of them have been fixed now.

After spending many hours in making them work which included machining area out for distributor drive, clearancing oil pump and cam bolts to clear, fixing oil holes to line up with pump, opening up the windage area between cylinders in case center web and many other little things to make things fit.

Some of the cases needed to be line bore.

After having to do this work, when CB Performance came out with it aluminum case I never used one of the other aluminum case that were being sold.

They were just so much better in quality and I did not have to spend all the hours doing the modifications to them.

One thing that still need to be done on the CB case is the windage still needs to be opened up on the center web. This is really needed on stroked and bored engines so the case can breath internally between the cylinders.

So you know the aluminum case do run warmer than a mag alloy case. It not enough to really worry about.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
louisb

Super Case

Post by louisb »

The alloy cases are a little heavier too than the stock mag case but that should not be a problem unless you are drag racing. I am using one for my 1976 motor. As jsturtlebuggy mentions there was some oil seepage and clearance problems with the first batch that reached the US. Some of the center mount linkages don't fit as well either due to differences in the case top area. These days you will speend $700 - $800 on machining to get a new mag case ready for a big 2 liter motor.

--louis
jsturtlebuggy

Super Case

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Jay,

Both Bob Hoover and Gene Berg talked about modifications you could do for better oiling system of the top end.

Some where on my computer is a diaghram that Bob Hoover posted on his blog of improving the oiling.

Cutting slots between the 2 grooves on lifters/cam followers and cutting grooves on the rocker shafts was just part of what Bob was saying that needed to be done.

You should not have any problems with grinding on the rocker arms for clearance. FAT does it. And they have built more race winning engines than anyone.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
ManxManiac

Super Case

Post by ManxManiac »

Over the years, I've only built a few large cc VW engines, but for the last one, I used a CB Performance "Super Case"! It started life as a Brazilian AS41 engine case & I still checked clearances & such, but it was perfect! Of course, that's when they only cost about $375.00! Image  I also use the balanced "stroker rods", even on just a 1600cc engine. They are lighter & just as strong! Another trick is to use the rods out of a 1500cc Bus engine, as they are quite a bit lighter than the 1600 rods too!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
louisb

Super Case

Post by louisb »

Just saw this on the samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/v...ds/detail.php?id=1070709

--louis
MELFOL

Super Case

Post by MELFOL »

Jay: By Supercase do you mean the taller aluminum case cast especially for stroker, with the cylinders placed a little farther out? If so it is different from an aftermarket aluminum case that has been clearanced for stroker. If you are building a big stroker the cases cast for stroker should be quite a bit less work to build, though I have never built an engine using them and haven't hear anything about their reliability. 
jsturtlebuggy

Super Case

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Mel,

You know 3 people that are using them, Gene, Dennis, and Tony. You can ask them.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095