Turn signal canceling ring

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Manxx1

Turn signal canceling ring

Post by Manxx1 »

I just installed a new Grant steering wheel on my buggy with an early vw turn signal switch and canceling ring. I moved the horn button from the dash to the steering wheel horn and now I'm having issues with the horn going off when I use my turn signals. I think the canceling ring is grounding out on the steering column and causing the horn to go off. Does anyone know of an easy way to fix this? Neil (New Manx I guy)
GotManx

Re: Turn signal canceling ring

Post by GotManx »

I'm not sure if this will help answer your question, but Wolfsburg West has a great article on VW horn wiring: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wire ... _12_00.htm

It does sound like you are getting a unwanted ground in there somewhere. Sometimes the canceling ring is insulated from the steering wheel with nylon screws.
Manxx1

Post by Manxx1 »

My friend who owns a vw shop in Ventura fashioned a canceling ring out of electrical conduit and it works great! Thanks for trying to help!
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Manxx1;

Any chance you have a picture or two of this conduit canceling ring you can put up here? Thanks
Manxx1

Post by Manxx1 »

Let me check and see if he took pictures of it before installing it, if not I'm not sure I want to pull it apart to take pictures.