Soft top materials and parts suppliers

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
brads61manx2

Soft top materials and parts suppliers

Post by brads61manx2 »

Where are some good places with good prices to get parts and materials to make a soft top? I want to attempt to make one myself. :grin:
joescoolcustoms

Re: Soft top materials and parts suppliers

Post by joescoolcustoms »

I bought everything I needed for my enclosure from Tom Thompson at TJ Kustoms. Cabrio material, color matching nylon thread, clear PVC "glass", spiral metal zippers and pattern blank material.

I did buy the Hoover Press-n-snap and snap supplies from a separate vender, Perfect Fit. I have about $ 425.00 in materials for my top, but I also have enough extra I can replace some of the glass as it becomes scratched and enough cabrio to repair/replace what may get damaged in the future.

The sewing machine, Hoover Press-N-Snap, high quality scissors, sewing chalk, bobbins, spools and misc. sewing tools/supplies are considered items I will keep and not in the price of the top.
brads61manx2

Post by brads61manx2 »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on the hunt for an Industrial Sewing machine so I can do some practicing and see if I cant do this.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

I use sewing and snap tools I've bought from marine supplier http://www.sailrite.com. Buy your materials from Tom Thompson. Not only are his prices fair, he's got years of experience and can give you advice on what you'll need.
langan

Post by langan »

In your hunt for parts for top did you find any paterns or good pictures of tops
langan

Post by langan »

I will make the bows and hardware first then maybe the patterns. Heck be then I will learn enough to sew the rest.
YellowSafari

Post by YellowSafari »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ght=bikini

above link is a nice how to...

These 1970's vintage top bows are available, if any one is interested. They will need some tlc.