Temp gauges

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
YellowSafari

Re: temp gauges

Post by YellowSafari »

Thanks for the replies. I had seen a device on Gene Berg's site similar to http://www.savemybug.com/, but Gene's is no longer available. I also understand that these affordable gauges are more an indicator of normal. I will be adding a cylinder head temp to our buggy soon
Thanks Again
Mike
vincent9993

temp gauges

Post by vincent9993 »

I want to monitor my engine(1914 air cooled) temp. Question is which Cylinder head temp, or oil temp.
I'm not sure I care to do both. Has anyone an opinion on the accuracy of these gauges, VDO and or Autometer

Thanks
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

The accuracy of any gauge will depend on sensor placement. This is for both Head and Oil. The spark plug quench area on the cylinder head will be the hottest, but getting a sensor there is a feat. Oil temp would be best taken right off the outlet of the oil pump in the flowing stream of oil, but, unless you have full flow oiling, that is next to impossible.

Another question is the accuracy of the read out of the gauge. It the temp it is showing that exact temp??? Unless tested, you do not know for sure.

With that knowledge, what I do is mount the sensor the best I can to the best heat source that will be consistent, and look for the rate or percentage of increase of the gauge readout. What I mean, is, drive the buggy normally and watch what the gauge reads. Flat land, normal as possible ambient temps and see what the reading is. Then, when you load the engine up a hill, fast on the interstate, hard take-off's, high ambient temp's you watch for the gauge to increase and note both how quickly it increases and how much over the normal reading it increases.

Oil temp is a slower responding medium and reflects how well the engine is cooling. Head temp is a much quicker reading and will show the load on the engine. If I were to pick only one, I would pick the head temp gauge.
Lee-Hoffer

Re: temp guages

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Yeah, what he said! I have a CHT gauge and an oil pressure gauge. I managed to cross thread a spark plug getting the CHT gauge into a spark plug hole one time, so now I just attach the sensor to one of the head studs. Sure, it doesn't read as high and it's not as responsive, but it does show when the head temp is trending upwards. It's less of a worry gauge in that location as well. :P tongue

If the oil pressure starts to drop below normal levels, I know the oil is getting hot. Oh, and also this little contraption which is the greatest thing since beer in cans: http://www.savemybug.com/

Lee
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Lee,

I use the old tried and true method like you.

"If the oil pressure starts to drop below normal levels, I know the oil is getting hot."
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Thanks for the replies. I had seen a device on Gene Berg's site similar to http://www.savemybug.com/, but Gene's is no longer available. I also understand that these affordable gauges are more an indicator of normal. I will be adding a cylinder head temp to our buggy soon
Thanks Again
Mike
Lee-Hoffer

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

You're welcome. It is my understanding that the Savemybug sensors are the same ones Gene used to sell, that Gene bought them from them. I bought two and checked them against a candy thermometer. They were both spot on.
Tom-Szwajkos

Re: temp gauges

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

I have a VDO temp gauge and the sender is mounted on the head stud. It gives me a good indication of when the Corvair turbo engine is getting hot. The key to keeping Corvair's cool is to insure that the lower shields are installed on each cylinder. I do not run the full shields and never have had an issue. I also run a oil pressure gauge but no oil temp gauge.