Daily Driving Distance

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
DIESELDOOG

Daily Driving Distance

Post by DIESELDOOG »

If you were to make an 1800 mile trip in your buggy, how far would you plan to drive each day? I am not looking for any comments, or statements here just how far you would plan to travel each day.
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

Less than 300 miles..... enjoy the ride!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

There is something to be said about getting some place quick and having extra time to play. But the more time you spend driving the buggy each day just trying to get to the destination, the less fun it becomes (and isn't driving a buggy all about having fun?). A rule of thumb that we follow is to drive no more than 4 to 6 hours a day (and that is in a comfortable motorhome). In a buggy, even if it has a good top and side curtains, by the time you get to 300 miles (4 1/2 to 6 hours depending on the roads, stops and weather), you will be tired. Do that day after day, and it will beat you up, and that isn't any fun at all. I've done the drive across country in 2 1/2 days. But after driving 12 to 16 hours straight in a regular car (800 to 1000 miles), all you want to do when you get to the destination is curl up and sleep.
towd-dude

Buggy trip..

Post by towd-dude »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I voted 600+ because I didn't know we were talking about a buggy trip. Now that I know I would go with the 300mile choice for the below mentioned reasons.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bob[/FONT]
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I know Tom and kathleen will want to chime in since they have done some mega distance trips I have done quite a few and keeping it fun for me is about 2-300 max
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

My vote is cast for the less than 300 mile trip. I love driving my buggy but frankly it is quite tiring at times. With the combination of the wind buffeting you, the noise from the engine, and the somewhat rough ride you get beat up after a while. Sometimes I have a difficult time relaxing. I've never gone longer than a 150 mile trip and each time I've done that I'm wiped out. I'm sure there are ways to counteract these little issues but if I'm driving a fairly long distance I'm taking a traditional vehicle.
vincent9993

Now that's a question I'm going to answer!

Post by vincent9993 »

For ME, driving the buggy is so much fun and I can drive 12 to 14 hour stright and I can repeat that for 3-4 days straigt. Yes, it is hard but so is getting up at 5:00am for a morning run but yet people still do it. The longest we drove was 666miles in 1 day on our 7,500 mile cross country adventure last year. Image In leg: Day 1: 541 Day 2: 641 Day 3: 666 Day 4: 622 Day 5: 468 Return was about the same... Image One thing to consider, amongst many, is time zones on long trips. We were recovering 3 hours on the way there and did enjoy the extra hour of daylight. Heat is also an issue, I could go on but just saw you are not looking for info, just numbers. Sorry - Got carried away. lol
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We drove cross country from Vernon, CT to Valley Center, CA in 4 1/2 days (in the Manxter) with a major detour. If the car is comfortable (even if the weather is not), you can do the long days. I think we could do 1800 miles in 2 days. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

I think that in our buggy Xena, 300-400 miles would be doable, maybe even more. Her 1965 Ford Mustang bucket seats are very comfortable & since I only run 10 psi in the rear tires & 8-10 in the front tires, she has a real nice smooth ride! We've driven her 300 miles with 1 stop for gas & upon arriving at our destination we felt great! Sorry, comments & statements are always a part of my posts.
DIESELDOOG

Daily Driving Distance

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Thank you to all of the members who took the time to answer the poll. Ron