Old Manx and Old Owner

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Manx#102

Old Manx and Old Owner

Post by Manx#102 »

This is my first post here so I will keep it short for now. My name is Randy and this is a picture of our Manx that my father had a friend build for us back in the summer of 1967. Over the last 42 years it has taken us on alot of adventures. We have been to alot of amazing places with it. We have met alot of interesting people because of it. And to this day we still have alot of fun with it. A little more history and information on our buggy. When my dad picked up our Manx body in early 1967. He was told it was the 102nd one made of the floor-pan bodies. The way you see it pictured here is pretty much the way it looked when it was finished back then. It has an 1835c.c. VW with dual-port intakes and a single Zenith32 carb and a Crower low-end cam. It also has skid-plates front and back and individual cable turn-brakes. My dad had it built for heavy-duty offroad adventures and that is what we did. We went nine times down to Baja with it between 1968 and 1976. Along with going to Pismo we went to the dunes at Glamis, Buttercup, Devil's Playground, Eureka Valley and a few others I cannot remember the name of. Also many, many ghost towns and abandoned mines here in the California deserts. We have had a wonderful time through all the years with Bruce's creation and I look forward to more with our Manx.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Welcome to the assylum! Nice to see a buggy still in it's original family and still running.
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Hi Randy, Glad to see you found us. Hope to see you on a buggyrun sometime
theManiac

Great Buggy

Post by theManiac »

Hey Randy, glad to see you didn't sell it!!! I still have the photo of it you sent me a few years ago. Sorry we were never able to hookup for breakfast or a cruise thru the dunes, maybe soon! Mike Dear & his family will be at Pismo for about a week during Thanksgiving & I'm going to try & go meet up with them. I'll let you know for sure. Keep having those adventures & plenty of FUN FUN FUN... the 'Maniac
ralphdjeeper

Old Manx

Post by ralphdjeeper »

Hi Randy,welcome ,very nice old Meyers Manx,thank's for posting,looking forward to meeting you,and doing some run's.
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

Thank you one and all for the welcome. I hope someday to finally get to one of the Manx Clubs events and meet all of you. I almost made it to Calico this last year. But things did not work out. But I did make it to the "Sunday Morning Breakfast" with Bruce, Winnie and alot really nice club members in August 2006. For me that was a big event to meet Bruce and to be able to thank him personally for his creation. That has brought alot of great times and memories for myself and so many other people for many years now and hopefully many years to come.
Manx#102

Post by Manx#102 »

[QUOTE="theManiac;14873"]Hey Randy, glad to see you didn't sell it!!! I still have the photo of it you sent me a few years ago. Sorry we were never able to hookup for breakfast or a cruise thru the dunes, maybe soon! Mike Dear & his family will be at Pismo for about a week during Thanksgiving & I'm going to try & go meet up with them. I'll let you know for sure. Keep having those adventures & plenty of FUN FUN FUN... the 'Maniac[/QUOTE] Looking forward to meeting you also Maniac and your friends. Hopefully that Thanksgiving week will work for you. Since a few of our friends from here will be out there also with their glass-cars. We will also be out there some days. As far as selling the Manx I came close a couple of times. But I just couldn't. Now I'm really glad I didn't. Just for reasons like these. Adventures, fun and friends both old and new.