Wide rear tires

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mstokes

Wide rear tires

Post by mstokes »

Does anyone have advice about wide rear tires? I have 2 10" VW wide 5 wheels. I think they are the '66 or '67 style. Anyway I am wondering what is the bigest tire size I can put on an original Manx without clearance problems. Any Advice is appreciated. Thanks Mike
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

street or offroad tires?
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

street. I have decided to go with a 31/10.5x15 rear tire. With my 1915 engine I think it will be fine. when I bought it it had a stock car tire that measured 29.5"X10", and a stock 1600 engine, which pulled it fine. I don't think it was a street legal tire, but it had dry rotted. I couldn't find the old tire size anywhere, but yesterday afternoon I found where I had written it. I took the tires off last year and disposed of them when I had the wheels powdercoated. I also found another forum thread from last month about tires that was helpful with my decision. I found a tire, Nitto Dune Grappler, that looks awesom, that I am planning to install next month. Thanks Mike
Jon

Tall Tires

Post by Jon »

Best check out your gearing on the transaxle if it's a stock unit. Tall tires tend to bog down the whole system. Standard gears and tall tires cause the engine to run slower, causing overheating, low oil pressure, and third gear driving to keep up the speed, and the RPM's. Best to keep around 29" diameter in size.