folding windshield

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
90volts

folding windshield

Post by 90volts »

has anyone done one or seen one? i want the jeep type where maybe a pin locks it up on place , remove the pin and it will fold onto the hood. just wanted to see if anyone had any experience and had a bulletproof way of doing it. i don't weld , soi was planning on taking the windshield to a fabricator and having it done.but it looks like it would be a simple procedure.the only thing i would be worried about is it not being a tight fit and wobbling at speed. i spoke to Dino about it already and he didn;t want to do one, and doesn;t have any plans to do them for the future either. thanks.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Image Image I think the monocoques had folding windshields. Chris Lewis' definitely does. http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0207vwt_meyers_manx_monocoques_buggies/
fubar

Post by fubar »

All the older military trucks had them so that you can shoot and drive at the same time...I think it would be possible to make something using the stock mounts with a spacer in the bottom hole to keep from gouging the glass, and some sort of a wing nut type clamp in the top. The geometry to make it fold down flat may be all wrong though. Plus you would have to make some sort of clamp for the down position. You would not want it to flop back up while you are shooting at high speeds..
90volts

Post by 90volts »

if i rest the 50 cal on it to shoot it'll be fine! :eek: thanks for the info though. i knew i had seen it before. trying to find out if i can get some closeup pics of #7 for a clearer pic of how they did that.
fubar

Post by fubar »

Looking at the photos of the blue car closer, it appears that they made the hinge point forward of the stock bolt points on a Manx or clone. That would have the effect of raising the bottom edge of the windscreen as it folded forward. I would think that they would have had to modify the dash frame for that as well as the window frame. The big question is : will a 40hp VW overcome the recoil on a .50 cal ??
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

"The big question is : will a 40hp VW overcome the recoil on a .50 cal ??" I'm sure the Germans had something around a 50 cal. mounted on 36hp VW's at some point during the war. :D
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Image These are folding windshield uprights off a Morgan. Like Fubar said, the pivot points have to be forward of the frame so the windshield rises to clear the top of the hood as its folded forward. I wouldn't attempt to have a shop design and fabricate it. At a minimum $50 an hour, it would cost at least $500 and probably a lot more (if they were even interested). You'd probably be disappointed with what they produced anyway. Its really the type of job a person takes their time and does themself. The real work would be the all the trial and error designing, gathering the materiels, cutting and, drilling. Welding and machining could be farmed out.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Have a look at the folding windscreen assemblies off a vintage car like an MG TC. I used to have an MG TD. The windscreen folded down and had a big screw to hold it in place. Lots of old cars, especially from the 1940s had folding down 'screens.