finally made it onto the sand

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
90volts

finally made it onto the sand

Post by 90volts »

of course, 75 feet in and i got stuck! :cry: good thing i thought to get a tow strap 'just in case'. we bottomed out real quick. i went up over the berm and into the deep stuff to get down to the water and it was too deep i guess? sand was right up to the pan/bottom of engine. never in the sand with it before. but it seemed tht i wasn't floating at all. i don't know if it was because of the steel wheels being too heavy or the tires not bulging enough. i was down to 10 psi front and back with no noticible bulge in them. so i got the tow the other 20 feet or so to the harder stuff and it was ok there. didn't go down by the water cause i didn;t know if i was going to slide and not make it back up. and didn;t really want to have to get towed again! had a little fun while we were there. lots of looks, pictures taken, etc of course. drove the hour back and stopped in at sonic for some food. more looks , pics etc LOL. even had someone come over to check it out. he has one back home but didn't bring it. he did say mine was the second one he's seen here so i need to keep a look out for a blue buggy riding around down here somewhere! Image Image Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Looks good! Try going to 6 psi. Should go just fine. Try not to spin the tires too much 'til you get use to it on the sand. :D
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

COOL pics Mike,,,, your buggy looks real nice on the sand :cool:
manx1111pla

Post by manx1111pla »

Hey Mike, your buggy looks right at home on the sand. nice pics of a nice buggy looks like the kids enjoy it to.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I would try 5 psi. I had a friend that ran almost atmosperic pressure with Terra tires on his glass buggy with a rear engine Pinto. He had steel wheels and his theory was that the tires were rusted to the bead so he did not need air...not true because one of mine went flat and it was not driveable. He went almost everywhere I did with paddles and a lighter buggy. It also helps having a few kids with you to dig out. If you don't get stuck a few times you are not having the maximum amount of fun.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Between 5 and 8 lbs and it should go anywhere you point it. This was with 8lbs. front and rear.... Image Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

well, this is the update post. the gauge only went to 10. but i went well under, i am figuring i was around 5psi for the next attemp. had no problems there. got right out onto the sand and left the trucks int he (sandy) dust! We tried the Oregon Inlet, the break between Bodie and Hatteras islands. Lots more room to run.Beach was wider and longer.My older son didn't want to ride with since he got embarrassed getting stuck last time.So my middle son rode and we left mom in the explorer in the dust!ran good in the ruts, cutting over the ruts, in the deeper stuff, by the water, everywhere. Much better! thats what i was expecting.... and of course, the pics (since i photo-document everything! :eek: ) Image Image finally, a dune! Image Guess now its 'officially' a dune buggy!
90volts

Post by 90volts »

thanks for the suggestions. and now for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of driving along the beach... :driving: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v444/ ... 0_1935.flv as for me, i'm out to lunch! Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Great pics....There are few things as enjoyable as Driving a newly completed buggy thru the dunes.

More photos ...

Post by 1856 »

Mike great photos and buggy Thanks for sharing If you want to see his story it is here ... http://p066.ezboard.com/frbcdunebuggyfr ... ID=6.topic MnC
90volts

Post by 90volts »

much more comfortable in the sand now. went to the same old place again and was able to run circles around the trucks- just like i've always heard. mucho fun! even ventired down into the water. first time a wave was just coming in and i didn't expect it! ouch. its already been rebuilt twice in 2 years- why not go for three! LOL. that salt is going to kill it. hope i got it all off. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v444/ ... 0_2198.flv finally saw the blue buggy today thats down here. he was heading off the sand when i was airing down. saw a red one a kid has on Ocracoke island the other day too. very utility. looked good. and just in time to leave :cry: i knew i should have taken 3 weeks! Image