is there a way to completely enclose buggies

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gene-C

is there a way to completely enclose buggies

Post by Gene-C »

I am considering getting a buggy to ride year round and amin Portland Oregon. it rains often here and I would need the ability to have doors or sidewalls of some sort and heat. Is that commerciall available as I am not much of a fabricator. Brian
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Brian, Have a look at these picts. http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album240 I run my buggy pretty much year round with this top. I still get some water inside during rain, but I just let it drain out through the holes I drilled in the pan. I had this top custom made, but I think these guys are trying to put together a pre-made top w/curtains http://texasbuggys.com/ Good luck, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

There's been enclosed f/g buggy's from the beginning of time. many of the hard top makers also sold side curtins. Any boat top shop can build these for you. In Portland with the weather and traffic, I wouldn't even think of driving a buggy in the rain. With a top on these the windows and side curtain will fog bad. Just like the 60's sports cars. Thats not all you'll have to do. You will need to seal the body to hood. On the under side of the hood
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I drive a motorcycle year round here in Portland now so a little rain doesn't bother me .. I do want heat though. Is that possible? Doesn't have to be blaring heat .. just a little more than nothing.
joemama

Post by joemama »

I would think you could use stock vw heater boxes (part of the stock vw exhaust systen), and have heater hoses route the heat to the buggy body. In Hot VW magazine you see ads for adding a fan to the vw heater system for fan forced heating.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

You'd probably be better off with a VW Type 181 Thing. Real doors with removable windows and I believe they came with a gas powered heater.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I've seen 12 volt camping type hair driers mounted under the dashboard adapted to work as windshield de-misters. The hardtop that the Manxclub sell maybe a good start with a rear window and sidescreens made to suit. This is the rear window that Neal at Lone Star Buggies makes... http://hometown.aol.com/lonestarbuggy/i ... window.jpg
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

If you fit clip on side curtains with zip open windows make sure that the top of the sides is as close to the top as possible. You do not want to bend down evey time you look sideways. That means, put the zip as high as possible, even level with the bottom edge of the top. Also make sure that the zip is either a double ended zip or if its single ended, make it open from the back. If it opens from the front it will act as an airscoop to the interior in wet and cold condidtions. If it opens from the back you can control how open you want it to be, ranging from a little split to get a draft, zipped open to the front of the top to give you a fold down triangular opening where your head is exposed to the elements but your body is not, or fully zipped down to get in and out. At the bottom of the side curtain where it connects to the body do not put nasty pokey little pin shaped clips. You will learn to hate them every time you get in and out of the buggy. Put press studs on the outside and a full length flap to a separate row of press studs on the inside. That will hold down in the most vigorous side wind. Otherwise a strong side wind gust can suck the downwind side curtain open. That flap will also means that any water leaks run down the side of the inside of the body rather than pour into your lap. Murphy's (Sod's) Law is that leaks will be either on the accerator foot or into your lap. Also sit in the car, put your knee to the side of the buggy and don't put a press stud there or where you will rest you elbow while driving. As far as heaters are concerned I have heard that 12 volt hair driers are very good at demisting and getting the chill off the interior. You may need two and a bigger generator or alternator.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

One more thing. Make the top hard to fit, but not impossibly so, when it's cold as it will be easy to fit when it is hot. So be careful about the fit depending upon the temperature when it is made. You want it to be tight but not too tight, loose but not too loose. Fit a Removable bow that goes across the top just above your head and that is hinged about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the roll cage. The bow needs to than be tightened up with suitable straps, clips, velcro etc to the roll bar behind your head. If you do not fit a bow the top will almost certainly flap and drive you to distraction. It will also give the top a curved wing shape which will make it always want to lift. It will also look a lot better.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I have a hard top I'd be willing to let go for pretty cheap. it's missing the rear glass and you would have to get some doors made for it, but that souldn't be to hard to do. I'd let it go for $100 + shipping. PM me if your interested.