Siggy Manx and dual IDF Carbs

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Don Giovanoni

Original vs Siggy Room for Webers

Post by Don Giovanoni »

Thanks for the pics Mike. The Siggy bodies (at least mine) have a lot less room under the rear deck than the originals (I have had 2 originals so I can compare fairly). The license plate to generator/alternator spacing is another sign - the original had a stainless steel plate in the rear to mount the plate. There is no way this would work with a Siggy, the plate has to be mounted at about a 45 degree angle to miss the alternator. I also understand that the Siggy run were produced by 3 different vendors so maybe they are not all like mine.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Mike, Thanks for the pictures but as Don mentioned, The Signature series has some issues of it's own. i have a possible solution on the way. I'll keep everyone posted in case it comes up again. DPG
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="Don Giovanoni;14429"]I am familiar with the situation as I have been going through this myself. I can't speak of how manifolds/carbs will fit with your body; mine is a Siggy with even a little less rear clearance than the original Manx. I ordered the CB Performance offset manifold set. These ultimately fit but were a real pain. First, they were so big at the base that there was no way they would clear the original tin, I had to grind them down on the inside to get them to fit. Once on, the air cleaners fit but missed the body by about a tenth of an inch. Other problems - I couldn't fit the carbs on the intakes before installing them as there is not enough room to fit the ignition wires through the manifolds with the carbs on. Also, once on, there is no way to tighten the carb nuts as there is not enough clearance between the tin and the carbs. There was no way the cross bar linkage would clear the body so I went with the CSP linkage as well. Very happy with the CSP linkage - I also added the optional return spring. Just this weekend I changed out the CB manifolds with some used Weber manifolds. They are not offset but are spaced further out from the tin and are almost an inch lower than the CB manifolds, allowing a little more room. They are a dream to work with, can be installed and the carbs installed or removed without removing the manifolds. The CSP linkage barely reached the carbs but I was able to make it work. Good luck with your manifold selection. Don[/QUOTE] Don, I have a friend that has done the exact same install. I am trying to get in touch with him to find out what he did to rectify the problem.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I just got back from looking at my friend's buggy. He made the linkage work by cutting the tin and tig welding in a piece of 3/8" dia. tubing that was slit in half lengthwise. He metal finished it then repainted the tin. I fits in so well you have to really look to see that the tin is notched. You might have a bit more of an issue with chrome tin.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Thank you for checking into that Jerry. I spoke to John at AC.net and he is sending me some Bugpack offset manifolds. These have less material at the base and are at leat 1" shorter than the CB's Looking at what is written here, that should get me really close and address some of the issues dicussed. If I have to, i'll lose the stacks and get shorty filters?
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I'm almost there through a strange series of event however I got stopped right here. Solve this and the rest should be down hill. It appears as if my bumper is a bit offset by about an inch from on side to another. My thinking is to use a come-along to see if I can bend the whole bumper to buy me about a half an inch....what do you think? Everything else appears to fit. Image Image
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

Can you loosen the bumper bolts and then use the come-along,Then retighten the bolts ,,,
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

[QUOTE="tim morgan;14493"]Can you loosen the bumper bolts and then use the come-along,Then retighten the bolts ,,,[/QUOTE] I can.....the holes are pretty hogged out as it is. I have extra mounting brackets if I need them.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I'd hate if someone just nudged the bumper in a parking lot or whatever and wiped out a carb, manifold or maybe even broke the cylinder head... That's not what bumpers are about.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

Don, If your bumper is chrome plated, the plating will crack if you bend it. Also, and more importantly, when you rev the engine, the enging will lift and roll slightly and possibly hit that bumper and damage your new carbs. Also you are going to have trouble getting to those adjusting screws. I hate to say it but maybe a new bumper is in order, now.