Driving from LA to San Diego

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
shaky

Driving from LA to San Diego

Post by shaky »

What is the drive from LA to Valley Center like, for an english bloke?
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

It's not bad at all: about 120 miles from downtown Los Angeles which should take about an hour and a half to drive. However, that estimated driving time is based on driving at non-rush hour times. Otherwise, the drive could easily take a few hours since you have to travel either on the 10 or 405 freeways (two of our worst freeways traffic-wise). So leave really early in the morning (5:00 AM), or the middle of the morning on a weekday (10:00 AM) or at night (8:00 PM). Weekend traffic is kind of a mixed bag. It can be horrible or wide open, it's just hard to predict. Of course, the other varible is which side of the freeway you decide to drive on. It would probably be quicker if you drive on what we think is the right side of the road! :laugh1:
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

If there's two or more in the car look out for 'car pool ' lanes on the left of the highway...can be incredibly clear. Usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Here's a website that has helped me a few times: http://www.sigalert.com I check it just before heading out. I know things can change in an instant, but it at least gives me an idea of what to expect.
bountyhunterdm

Post by bountyhunterdm »

If your going to the Meyers Place watch out for the dirt road up to the house it comes up quick.
shaky

Post by shaky »

Great advice, thanks. David, I'll be on my own in the car :driving:
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Something unique from your home country would be good. That kind of stuff makes memories.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Keep an eye out for the Blue Heeler dogs which are called Australian Sheep Dogs in in the USA in the yard of the first house on the right on the dirt road into Manx Central. Say hello to Bruce and Winnie for me. I'm always fascinated that in the US an Australian cattle dog is called a sheep dog. Heelers are so called because they herd cattle by biting them on their heels. They wouldn't know what to do with sheep.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I've always found that were there are women involved (and dogs) a dozen 'Krispy Kreeme' donuts usually does the trick and is always a welcome gift :2cents: . :laugh1: Remind me of when you're going Paul.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
shaky

Post by shaky »

The plan is to fly out of heathrow on the 28th and down to Manxtown on the 29th Sept... after a bit of a sleep. :crazy:
shaky

Post by shaky »

...so if I have a flashing red light I can turn right as long as nothing is coming, don't overtake the school bus, speed limit is 65 mph, and at fourway intersections sit and watch everyone else? Not too many roundabouts then!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Just keep in mind, if in So. Cal. and you are only doing the speed limit of 65 mph (NOT KPH! :eek: ) keep to the right (slow lane) or you will be run over by the SUV's doing 90! :help: :laugh1:
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

How long are you going for and where do you plan to visit Paul? I'm really tempted but it's just a couple of weeks after I get back from a week in Atlanta...you've got me thinking though... :help:
shaky

Post by shaky »

Driving on the right isn't too much of a problem, we do it when we go across the smaller pond to France etc. The embarrassing part is getting into the car only to find that you can't reach the wheel from the right seat :driving: It's a very short trip David, but we'll meet up one day.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="shaky"]Driving on the right isn't too much of a problem, we do it when we go across the smaller pond to France etc. The embarrassing part is getting into the car only to find that you can't reach the wheel from the right seat :driving: It's a very short trip David, but we'll meet up one day.[/QUOTE] Mmm...I've got a week's holiday left to use.... :confused: