Engine runs rough - poor quality Bosch ignition wires?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
MyBlueBuggy

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Well, I actually think I have this figured out.  Since you don't start a story at the end I'll fill you all in...

Since February my poor little buggy has been sitting.  I occasionally warmed it up but never actually drove it due to the rain and any other excuse I came up with.  Last month or so I did drive the buggy but started running into a little roughness now and then.

First it seemed that the idle circuits were plugged up and sure enough once I pulled the carbs and took them apart I found many small deposits of crud built up here and there.  A thorough cleaning and adjustment seemed to fix the issue but now and then I would hear the exhaust pop and backfire pop during deceleration.  I even had some hesitation during harder acceleration.  I just assumed it would clear up once I ran enough gas through the carbs as I had added a cleaner to the tank.

This last couple of weeks it got worse and the engine just stopped running smooth.  I pulled the plugs and they looked alright.  Thinking back on a similar issue I had before with a misfire I went ahead and replaced the ignition wires with a new set I had on the shelf.

Now, knock on wood, the engine is running smooth and I have the power I used to.  It seems I have fixed my rough running but I now have little confidence in the Bosch ignition wires.  This is the second set I have had to replace since the buggy has been on the road.  I have less than 6,000 miles on the engine and I'm on my third set!

Is the quality of the Bosch wires as poor as I've been experiencing or have I just had a run of bad luck?  Is this a common issue?

Any way.  It's nice out.  The sun is shining and I'm driving the buggy.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Is it the wire or the resistor plug connector giving you the problem? The plug connectors were 1K ohms resistors, (have not bought a set of plug wire in a few years) or is there a problem with the wire which in the last set I bought where still copper wire core. I know they changed the coil wire to a carbon track string, it that causing the problem?

Bosch electrical parts seem to have become lesser quality then they use to be.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
MyBlueBuggy

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Joe,

Seems I posted my solution a bit prematurely.  Last night on my way home I really pressed the buggy hard.  It's still acting up. What is happening now is a misfire type feeling after I accelerate hard under near wide open throttle.  The misfire lasts for a while too.  It does clear up and during cruise the engine runs fine however, something just doesn't feel right.

I'll ohm check the wires and I'll check my timing and see if maybe the 009 dist. is sticking.  I don't really want to take the carbs apart again just to look at the accel pump circuit.

Somethings up. That's for sure.  I'll figure it out sooner or later.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

You may also want to replace the distributor cap.  There may be a crack or arcing there that can cause misfiring too.
MyBlueBuggy

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Ok,  here's what I found.  All the ignition checked out.  I took apart the distributor to check the advance weights, they were fine.  The cap and rotor looked fine with a very small amount of corrosion but that was easily scraped off with a knife.  Plugs checked out fine.  This wasn't ignition related.

What I did was take the carbs off again, sigh, and checked out the accelerator pump jet and circuit.  A little cleaning and all was good.

This last weekend the car ran beautifully.  Over 300 miles without issue.
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

Tom

One thing I came across on mine was very suttle.

The intake manifolds were not torqued properly (well they loosened them selves up) and had started taking a set to the gaskets (read grit had gotten in there and made matters worse). I had a very slight vac leak. Once I lapped the Intake surfaces and trued them. Installed new gaskets and properly torqued them down. it was amazing the difference.

Im thinking about the grit in the carbs discussion we had that you picked up from Clear lake

Good luck let us know what you found when you fixed it

carlton