Delswift mirrors

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike1991

Delswift mirrors

Post by Mike1991 »

Going thru the garage looking for spare parts to carry along in the trip to Big Bear Lake this summer  I found a box with some older Delswift mirrors in it.  They used to be popular on early buggies and were even in the early manx catalog.  Only problem is with mounting them.  Probably why they were still in the box.

Anyone know the size and thread type of the pipe nipple that connects this mirror used on many British and other sports cars in the sixties to the fender.  It does not appear to be a standard inch or metric size.

Better yet where can I get some.  The original is approx 1" long  I need at least  1 1/2" to 2" long. It's between 5/8" and 16mm OD.

I have looked at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, Fastenall, even lamp shops.  No luck.  I'd prefer not to have to tap a new size into the mirror base.
5150bossman

Delswift mirrors

Post by 5150bossman »

Have you tried 1.25 pitch thread? That's what our windshield mounts are. Not very common in the local big box stores, but I was able to find one in our local B&B Do-it Center (it was too long so I had to cut it down, but the threads worked perfectly while the 1 and 1.5 pitch threads bound). I believe that they are metric, but I don't remember the diameter.
dcamomanx

Delswift mirrors

Post by dcamomanx »

You mentioned that you found a few of them. I have been looking for one for my manx project. Any interest in parting with one?

Sorry cant help about the mounting

Doran
Tom-Kathleen

Delswift mirrors

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

If they are "British", could they be "Whitworth" threads?  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
towd-dude

Delswift mirrors

Post by towd-dude »

The could also be "BS" British Standard.

Bob
Mike1991

Delswift mirrors

Post by Mike1991 »

5150bossman
No luck on finding any 125 thread pipe nipples you mentioned as of yet.  Spend all day yesterday hitting the small shops in my area.  Are you attending the Big Bear Lake event next month?

dcomomanx
I only have two, one for the left - one for the right.  No extras.  They pop up occasionally on EBay.  Been a while since I have seen any. 
5150bossman

Delswift mirrors

Post by 5150bossman »

Sorry no. If it is actually tapered pipe thread, then it is something different. Ours is straight thread.