Electronic Fuel Injection

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
JoaoMiranda

Electronic Fuel Injection

Post by JoaoMiranda »

Hello there, I am in the process of rebuilding an early Manx: new chassis, new tires/ wheels, new paint and most importantly new engine since the one in there has a cracked block. I got an engine as a gift that is factory fuel injected and although I was born and raised around VWs I have no experience with EFI VWs.

The question is: is it worth it? Or better convert to carb? I’m more inclined to convert than not, some extra parts to brake down in exchange for a couple hp and better acceleration I heard? What are you guys thoughts?
Dugger46

Re: Electronic Fuel Injection

Post by Dugger46 »

I'd be inclined to stay stock and keep the fuel injection, which (I assume) also handles the ignition. I view fuel injection as more reliable than carbs/distributors and such. But I also believe in the tooth fairy.... Doug
Mike-Presley

Re: Electronic Fuel Injection

Post by Mike-Presley »

I recently got a fuel injected super running. I hope to never see another fuel injected motor. The fuel pump is high pressure, and expensive. There are a lot of pieces of fuel lines with lots of connections to possible leak. Plenty of sensors and I’m sure the ecu is getting harder to get. There is also a “dual relay” which doesn’t exist anywhere in the world right now. My opinion, carburetors good.