5/6 Rib Transmission Install

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
FulsGld

5/6 Rib Transmission Install

Post by FulsGld »

[img]Hey All;

So I may have gone and done something stupid. I'm getting things together to replace the VW engine in the Turista with the Reverse-Rotation Darkside Engine that use to be in it. To that end, I went and purchased a 5/6 Rib (can't seem to figure out which it is) yesterday. After talking with a couple of knowledgeable buggy owners/builders about this transmission into a 71 chassis I'm not sure I can do this. I found a bus transmission mount (10-degree) at MooreParts which appears to be pretty straight forward but then there is this transmission CV Joint/axle length/axle splines on each end/stub axle thing which is what I'm not looking forward too. I'm using the stock trailing arms. What recommendations does anyone have of these things that can give me a list to possibly buy so I can install this thing. Otherwise I'm just going to leave the stock transaxle in my buggy and use the 5/6 rib as lawn art. Thanks.

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
jsturtlebuggy

Re: 5/6 Rib Transmission Install

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It is a 6rib Gary.
Should have a 4.56 ring & pinion in it.
1st 3.78, 2nd 2.06, 3rd 1.25, 4th .85
Will work great with 30 to 33 tall tires
Since you have 3in body lift you could use a solid mount kit that would work by cutting a hole in the lift kit and leave the trans level for shift rod to go through. There a step down linkage that can be use to connect the trans to the shift shaft in the tunnel. Gene uses one on his Manx with an 091 trans.
As for axle there are some that get away with using stock CV axle and use Bus inner CV joints with out installing the clips to hold the CV on axle and use and use the Bug CV joint on the outer.
They way I did mine years ago was use the aftermarket axles that are 15 5/8in long and allow the CVs to float on axle, no inner stop on axle splines.

To find out if the gearing will work for you, you can run the numbers on a gear ratio calculator such as the Weddle Engineering one.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
manxter36

Post by manxter36 »

You could use thing/ Porsche 924/944 axles, Cv joints (type 4) and sub axles. should all just bolt in. the axles are shorter then bug ones and the type 4/2 cv are stronger. I used this set up with an 002 trans .

Here's some info.
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/how_t ... nd_cvs.htm

Good luck

Doran
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Joe;

Thanks for the great information. I had heard about using this setup with the bus inner CVs and the stock outer CVs with the stock axles. One fellow said to have the inner side of the axle turned so the bus CV joint could be used with the snap ring but if it works OK with out that step then I'm good with it. I do have a hard mount kit that I purchased for a 3-rib that I bought while back and I might see how this will work with what you indicated. I preference would be to "rubber" mount the transaxle to alleviate as much noise as possible which is why I was looking at the 10degree kit. Again, thanks for the info.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

manxter36 wrote:You could use thing/ Porsche 924/944 axles, Cv joints (type 4) and sub axles. should all just bolt in. the axles are shorter then bug ones and the type 4/2 cv are stronger. I used this set up with an 002 trans .

Here's some info.
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/how_t ... nd_cvs.htm

Good luck

Doran
I installed this set up in Lori Ann's Tow'd with a 3 rib and stock type 1 trailing arms, I used the stock 924 stub axles. The stock length axles bolted right in and now it has the type 2 cv's inside and out. I found a guy on the Samba that finds these axles and stub axles, cleans them up and sells them.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Mike;

Sounds like you have a great setup there. Thanks for the extra info.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Simple bolt in! no modifications needed.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Gary,
Like what other have posted too, there are many ways of installing a Bus Trans in a Bug chassis.
Machining the axles (removing stop) for the wider Bus CV joint has been done. When others did this many years ago, it was found that it could create a stress riser in axle causing it to break were machined. Milling out the end inner CV star so it slips over the step on the axle is a better way.

As has been said the use of Thing (type 181) Porsche 924/944 stub axle can be installed into stock Bug trailing arms. Over the years I have been able to find many of the stub axle and CV axles and joints at the local Pick N Pull yards. I have not been looking for any for a few years now, so I don't know if finding them now is as common.

The 10degree mount does simplify installing the trans and using the urethane mounts it has does keep a lot of the vibration away from the chassis and your backside.
It does raise the back of the engine and I don't know how that will affect the oil pickup in a Corvair engine.
Modifying a 10degree mounting can be done for engine and trans to sit level. I did it to one of my own setups on time.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

HEy Joe;

I went ahead and ordered the 10 degree bus mount. It is suppose to arrive on the 30th (tuesday). After I get it I'll do a test fit to see how it looks. I think the Corvair will be OK as I have used them extensively going up and down the sand dunes and on various RBC runs going up and down mountains. The Dark-Side is not ready yet so I'll have a 1815 to begin with. Initially I'm going to go with the machining of the transmission side of the axles to get new bus CV joints to work (those are more expensive than the Bus Mount Kit (for four of them)). If there is a problem, then I'll go further down the route that you suggest. Thanks again.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey All;

So a long time member of the club found a couple of Porsche 944s in a wrecking yard in NorCal. He said he would go get the stub axles, axles, and CV Joints that I need for this 091 installation and ship them up to me. He did (with a whole lot of hate and discontent), and I got them in the mail last week. I REALLY want to thank this guy, but he prefers to remain anonymous, but I think he's a miracle maker! Sooooo, I think I have almost everything I need (need new boots and bolts) to get this thing going. Unfortunately, my welding guy is going to have some surgery and will be OOC for awhile, and I have double knee replacement surgery in a couple of weeks so I will be OOC for awhile. Still, I'm hoping to have the Turista (and myelf) ready for Moab in May. We shall see...

4926 4928
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

HEy All;

So, my double knee replacements went fantastic. I'm back working on buggys. This last weekend I had a couple of friends come over and we installed the 091 bus transmission into a different chassis for the Turista. It fits and looks good. However, I was talking with the member that had gotten the axle assemblies for me and he mentioned that I might have to change the bus bell housing because of some starter issue. If this is true, what is needed? Thanks...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Gary,
Glad to hear your surgeries went well, both at once, WOW the rehab must have been something else, my wife only had 1 at a time but she was glad to have them done. sorry I don't have an answer to your question just wanted say glad you're back on your feet.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Mike;

Thanks for the kudos. I had the bilateral done cause I didn't want to ruin a spring and a summer recovering and I didn't have anyone here to help me. The PT for both knees is just a grueling for two as it is for one. The intensity of the pain isn't any higher for a double as for a single (certainly not like child birth (more like getting hit by a Mac truck)), but I just had to do everything twice. GREAT PT folks were the key. Looking forward to body surfing at 18th Street, Newport Beach next year (Feb). That's my goal and I'm sticking to it.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112