'62 - '67 Tail Light Housing

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
louisb

Post by louisb »

Are there any mods that you have to make to the '62 - '67 tail light housing to make them fit the Manx II body? I was fitting up a pair of German made, not aftermarket, tail light housings tonight and the shape looks all off. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I need to get them fitted up so I can send them out for chroming.

Thanks,

--louis
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I've got them on mine, they don't need any trimming, just grab them in your hands and pull them outso they're 1/2" or so wider, then put a little twist in them and they'll fit fine. You'll need to drill out the mounting studs and replace with 6mm or similar bolts and nuts so they'll pull the last bit of mis-match into the body.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
louisb

Post by louisb »

Thanks David, that worked.

--louis
pilotricky

Post by pilotricky »

I just saw these messages about the 62 - 67 taillight housings. I had the same issue with them not fitting the contour of my Manx II body,..so, I trimmed them to fit the body. The rubber gasket that goes between the housing and the body still fits, and the taillight housing retains its original shape.  This was before I saw these messages....it was 38+ years ago.  Now the very same taillight housings are going on my Kick-Out.  I haven't tried holding them up to the Kick-Out body yet, to check for fit.

I will be restoring the Manx II after the Kick-Out is done.

Rick
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Here are my 'spread and twisted' ones...

...and some I did a few years ago; again, no cutting required...

Last edited by manxdavid on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)