Aluminum fuel tank and filler assembly

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
Tom-Szwajkos

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

I saw a really nice custom fabricated aluminum fuel tank designed to fit in the original mounting space of the VW tank.  It is in the new Manxter that Bruce traded for his old one. Do you know where to get this tank?  I would also need the polished aluminum fuel filler neck assembly that can be mounted to the hood.  I would like one that is lockable.   Any suggestions?
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Tom,

Do not let the title confuse you.  These guys are a 1st class outfit. I know of numerous friends and street rod guys who have had work done by them. I have never heard anything less than great about them.  The  fuel cell came from Rock Valley Antique Autoparts, in Stillman Valley, IL, about 35 miles west of my home.

I believe that the one on Bruce's Manxter is a copy. The same fuel cell is also on Kathleen Iacoboni's Manxter.  I think they even have the original drawings on the tank.  This is a good thing because Rock Valley probably has the CAD drawings on file. 

Here is a link:
http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/ndex.htm
Tom-Szwajkos

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

Thank you for the quick reply and the phone call.  It was a pleasure to speak with you.  I contacted Tom's wife and she is sending me the drawings.  Now all I need is the correct fuel filler assembly.  I will look at the Triumph motorcycle unit that you recommended.  I want a polished or chrome plated flush mount assembly with a lock.  Will run a fuel filler line from the fuel filler assembly to the tank.  

Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Also, Brad Connell in Valley Center is in the process of making them and offering them for sale . . I believe he's shooting for a 20 gallon capacity that will fit the same space.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Scott Drolet wrote:Also, Brad Connell in Valley Center is in the process of making them and offering them for sale . . I believe he's shooting for a 20 gallon capacity that will fit the same space.
Nice!  What's his timeline?  One of the few things I don't like about my manxter is the very limited range.. I'm comfortable doing about 120-130 miles before I start worrying about running out of gas.

Post by 1856 »

ImageAbove is one we built in '02 for our Manx II. It holds 18 gals but we don't put more then 15 in it do to the expansion factor.
The Pic below shows the notch for the steering shaft to the rack. The Car is primarily used off road so there were a number of internal gussets to strengthen the unit ...

enesset

Re: Aluminum fuel tank and filler assembly

Post by enesset »

I'd be super interested in one of these. I can pm or ring Brad's cell but does anyone know if these were made in numbers or even "by order"?
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Contact Brad at:

Email – Sales@turnkeymanx.com

Ph – 760 207 3974
enesset

Post by enesset »

Just talked with Nate about 30 minutes ago on a Pan I have a bead on that I need him to shorten and prep for my '69 body so I'll bring it up with him as well.

Thanks -- Eric