Tow'd Rear Axle U Bolts

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
Tom-Szwajkos

Tow'd Rear Axle U Bolts

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

If you need new rear axle u-bolts for your Tow'd they are available at a reasonable cost. You can purchase them from Stengel Brothers in Whitehall, PA. http://www.stengelbros.net. The correct part number is 5U-1215R, I paid $8.35 each last year. Description: 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 15R 32 round u bolt. They are thicker and stronger than the original 3/8 inch diameter bolts. You do have to open up the holes in the Tow'd frame mounting brackets but it is no big deal. They fit great and come with hex nuts and have duty washers. You will not be disappointed with the price and quality of these u-bolts.
dlyle

Re: Tow'd Rear Axle U Bolts

Post by dlyle »

I'm a bit late to the game on this but am looking for a set of these bolts. I've seen a couple of different posts on replacement bolts on this forum. 1 was for a 2.75 id 9/16" bolt and another was for the 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 15R 32 round u bolt that Tom used. I measured the torsion id on a couple of chassis. The 1969 chassis was 2.55 (approx 65 mm) and the 1962 chassis that will need the bolts is 2.75" (approx 70mm).

Is it correct that the torsion tube width varied by year?

Any input will be appreciated.