Manx sidewinder - type coating

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
63Fiberbuggy

Manx sidewinder - type coating

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Anyone know what the coating is on Meyer's exhaust header/muffler? I had not seen one in person until MOTB, and while I have a custom exhaust w/my turbo, I like the look of sidewinder coating better than my ceramic coat. Guess the natural follow-on question, anyone know what company does the coating for Bruce/Winnie?

Tks, Bill
rzeller

Re: Manx sidewinder - type coating

Post by rzeller »

63Fiberbuggy wrote:Anyone know what the coating is on Meyer's exhaust header/muffler? I had not seen one in person until MOTB, and while I have a custom exhaust w/my turbo, I like the look of sidewinder coating better than my ceramic coat. Guess the natural follow-on question, anyone know what company does the coating for Bruce/Winnie?

Tks, Bill

Bill,

Have a look at this thread about ceramic coating: http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=1144 The company I used to coat my sidewinder offers a lifetime warranty. I'm about to find out if they really mean it :twisted: Just know that as tough as ceramic coating is, it is NOT permanent.

The sidewinders from MM are ceramic coated but I don't know who does it. My sidewinder has had two coats (so far) on it.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Very interesting reading; I contacted Jet-Hot a while back & was quoted $200 for my header w/turbo turnout, and if I wanted, they'd jet-coat my turbo for another $75. Your pipes being re-done April 2010 puts about a 5 year design life on the coating? Curious, where & what type failures are you seeing? I'd like to hear how they stand behind "lifetime" as well...my pipes being custom for the turbo setup doesn't leave me the option to buy a new exhaust system each time the coating wears down; so I need to weigh-in options for re-coating ~5 year intervals it appears.

Thanks for info, and quick too!
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Bill,

The MOTB is a beast on metal and each year after the event I find the weakest link in my coatings (paint and otherwise). Although the coating on my sidewinder was done a while ago, I only have one season with the exhaust on the engine (~4200 miles). That includes a trip to MOTF and MOTB (a couple of times on the beach this year). Since I have the old style sidewinder (removable glass pack) I didn't want to replace the exhaust after the first time it wore thin, that's why I went the path of Jet-hot and their warranty. The failure I'm seeing are light dots of surface rust under the coating. Not all over, but on the J-pipes. I talked to someone else at the MOTB that had Jet-hot do their exhaust and they said the warranty would be no problem (they had theirs re-coated). You just have to pay the shipping costs.

It won't be before next spring that I'll know how it all works out, but I'll update the thread when I do.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

I agree with Bud on the things he is seeing on his sidewinder. Mine is 10 years old and has turned dull, mostly from a couple of oil leaks. I find myself using a very fine steel wool and trying to rub out the blemishes. The sidewinder has about 2k miles on it and will be recoated by jet hot in the future
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I believe it was me Bud was referring too. Had my original Sidewinder coated by Jet-Hot after it was damaged at my mechanics. The mechanic repaired it, then sent it to them to be recoated. It looked good for about a year and a half then the J-ppes started to pop with a bit of surface rust.

Despite my mechanic having it done for me, no questions with the warranty and they gave me an RMA number with one phone call for it to be returned to be redone. I pay shipping down, everything else is taken care of.

This is probably the last weekend to drive before weather starts to turn so I'l probably pull it and get it down to them in the next weeks or so. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.