Add music and shake well

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
rzeller

Add music and shake well

Post by rzeller »

From time to time I see requests for "How did you add a stereo in your buggy?" Like everything else in this hobby
there are a number of ways to do everything so this is just the way I did it and it works great for me.

Since I just had our buggy overhauled (http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3371) I thought I should
update the system I had in the buggy before. My configuration is the same but the equipment has been updated.

I started looking for a mini amplifier (for a motorcycle) that I could route my cell phone/MP3 player through. I also wanted
Bluetooth so I didn't have to run a wire from the phone/player to the amp. I settled on the Boss Rebel MC470B which came
with four bullet speakers all wired together in a harness. Cost: $125

I mounted two speakers up under the dash/hood and attached to the cross bar using the supplied bar clamps on
the speakers:

Passenger's side:

Driver's side:

Clamps:

I then had to splice in regular speaker wire into the harness in order for the rear speakers to reach the spare
tire well. I cut a small piece of plywood to the contour of the wheel well so the speakers would suspend and not slide.
I also added a couple of pieces of Velcro for additional security. The speakers were mounted upside down and positioned
as far back as I could in the well.

The system works great and you can hear the music (it's not Lincoln Center) well enough.

Just another way to "skin the cat."

Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Bassler

Re: Add music and shake well

Post by Bassler »

I have been trying to come up with exactly what you have! Does it sound ok? I dont want to get carried away with a huge stereo in the buggy, most times I wont even play it. On a long drive I may use it a lot.

Sound is good?
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Bassler wrote:I have been trying to come up with exactly what you have! Does it sound ok? I dont want to get carried away with a huge stereo in the buggy, most times I wont even play it. On a long drive I may use it a lot.

Sound is good?
It sounds fine. You do have to turn the volume up to hear it when driving ~55/60 mph but you can still hear it. Mostly you can hear the speakers directly behind the driver's seat (in the wheel well). This is the second amp of this type (and speakers) that's I've had. I like the bluetooth option a lot so I don't have to run a hard wire from my ear hole in my phone to the amp. It does have the option to do that if you have another device w/o bluetooth.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Bassler

Post by Bassler »

Thanks for the info. Prepare to be copied! :D
aburger01

Post by aburger01 »

Thanks for the breadcrumbs on this. I have a great stereo setup in my buggy now, but no aux in nor bluetooth. I'm going to adapt the is amp to my existing setup and have my bluetooth streaming as needed. I can get some extra room in the interior by not carrying around dozens of CD's in a case. :)