June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
calebmelvin

Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Post by calebmelvin »

Got the Select-A-Traction and Hurst installed. Still need to find a wood shift ball for it though! Here are the instructions for installing the select-a-traction if anyone happens to need them in the future.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Had a little time today to work on the Manx. Got the rebuilt tank installed. Also worked on the wiring a bit inside the house. Not ready to go on the car yet but getting close. Did get my period Bosch 6v battery in though!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

This last week was insane with work so I haven't had much time to work on the buggy. Did get the wire harness installed on the body. I used a Rebel harness and all of the wires are covered with a vintage wire loom. It looks really good up close. The body is now ready to go on!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

I got my newly restored plates that were original to the buggy. Can't wait to finally get them on!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

The beam is in! Fully rebuilt and shiny. Started hooking up the brakes. Hoping to get the tranny in next weekend after a hiccup with the nose cone.

rzeller

Post by rzeller »

That thing looks too pretty to get dirty :wink:
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
JoeManx

Post by JoeManx »

Hi, what an great build and great resource!! Can you tell me what the paint code is or how I can get that color? I have a tangerine red one too I am wanting to return to original. Thanks!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

JoeManx wrote:Hi, what an great build and great resource!! Can you tell me what the paint code is or how I can get that color? I have a tangerine red one too I am wanting to return to original. Thanks!

It was a custom color. I used a friends Tangerine Red car and had it scanned. I can see if I can get the formula from my body guy though!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

rzeller wrote:That thing looks too pretty to get dirty :wink:

I know right? I had it out in the sun today and it really is too clean. haha
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Got my parts back from powder coat this week. First up, some original hardware! I am trying to use as much as the original hardware that is savable. The front z-brackets and rear supports went on today!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Finally dove into glassing on the dash to the hood. Probably my least favorite project on a buggy. It is on now though! Really hoping to get the pan rolling this week and possibly get the body on next weekend.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Finally got the transmission in! That took longer than expected. The original owner had replaced it at some point with a split case one, and had cut/moved the front mount up to make it work. I had to find a bus nose cone to get it to mount...but it works now. Wheels and tires are on and it is rolling! Brake lines are mostly in also. Still need to do a few small things but the body is closer to going on.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Two become one!

A friend helped me pick up the body at my other garage in style.

It was such a beautiful spring day, I decided to do the work outside.

And it is together! I need to finish bolting down later today but it is starting to look like a buggy now! My little helper approves.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

It has been a bit slow going recently.

I finally got around to replacing one of my e-brake cables. I messed the last one up while shortening. I also put together my freshly restored Dietz 820's.

I had a bit of an issue with the wiring harness, and after struggling with it for more than a day, I ripped it back out. I am having Mike at Dune Buggy Brothers make me a custom harness now. I used his on my last buggy but I was itching to try something else...well now I have learned my lesson.

It has been so nice to be able to work outside!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

The small things are so much fun! Put on the front badge and license plate today. Also got the dash squared away by test fitting the gauge and switches.