June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
calebmelvin

June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Post by calebmelvin »

Wow, where do I start.

Two years ago I built this New Classic kit. It was incredible journey. If you haven't built a new kit, I would highly recommend it. There is something so satisfying when you drill into a pure, uncut body, that is hard to explain. It is a blank canvas.

After it was finished, I had a flurry of interest, and then life happened and I decided to sell. I was offered quite a bit more than I thought it was worth and away it went. Well come to find out, the buyer who talked a big game about keeping it forever, had other plans. He saw dollar signs. Most of you probably saw this: 1966 Meyers Manx Re-Creation. Within a short period he had it on BaT looking for big money. He did a great job with the photos but the listing was very confusing, and in the end it only went for about what he bought it for. Not sure where it ended up.

Anyway, fast forward to now. I want another Manx to build. I had planned on buying a member’s square tail but with the COVID shutdowns this winter, my funds dried up. Ugh. Then this this beauty landed in my lap. It was in the backwoods of Florida, for a really really great price (like $4k), and soon it was on its way here. Now I have bought dozens of VWs from afar, and you never really know exactly what they need until they arrive. With the price so low, my expectations were very low as well. But this one surprised me. The body is great. Really no issues, aside from one crack on the front. The pan is great. It runs, drives, etc.

So what are my plans? I am going for a period correct restoration on this one. I want to do it right. My wife is getting tired of falling in love with my buggies and then they disappear the next day, so it needs to be a keeper. Without further ado, here is my June ’68 Golden Orange metal flake Manx project!

calebmelvin

Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Post by calebmelvin »

Started taking it down this week. Removed the windshield, roll bar, etc. Found out the hood was held on with zero screws! :shock: Hoping to get it stripped down soon!

Interestingly I found that the dash is actually an original dash frame that had been skinned in sheet metal. It was pretty well done!

rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Very cool project and a nice clean canvas to start with. Please keep posting your progress.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Had a little time today and got quite a bit done. Body is totally stripped down and motor is off to the builder. Next up is removing the transmission and beam and starting on the pan!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

rzeller wrote:Very cool project and a nice clean canvas to start with. Please keep posting your progress.

Bud
Thanks Bud!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Some parts fell off today. :D

Finally able to start working on the pan soon! Its coming along!

Hind24P

Post by Hind24P »

That's a gorgeous buggy you have here, and you're doing a great job on it! I had to postpone my acquisition plans due to COVID, but I hope that with the return to normalcy (and a juicy contract around a huge yacht), I'll be able to follow my dreams and get my hands on a Manx of my own.
Meanwhile, I'll be following your endeavour and hope to see more of that orange cat!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

[quote="Hind24P"]That's a gorgeous buggy you have here, and you're doing a great job on it! I had to postpone my acquisition plans due to COVID, but I hope that with the return to normalcy (and a juicy contract around a huge yacht), I'll be able to follow my dreams and get my hands on a Manx of my own.
Meanwhile, I'll be following your endeavour and hope to see more of that orange cat![/quote]

Hope things work out for you and you can find one. I had a great Manx deal fall though because of COVID too unfortunately. Grateful that I was able to do this one now though.
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Picked it up today! I had the color matched to Tangerine Red, it looks a little more orange in person. Used a nice single stage.

Overall really happy with it!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Took advantage of the long weekend and blasted the pan. I was able to paint the underside, just waiting for it to dry in this cold. Hoping to do the topside next weekend!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Top side is painted! Need to do something with those seat mounts. They are way too high so I think I am going to take the top layer off. Getting excited to start putting it back together.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

First of many period goodies from this one. An original set of Select-a-Traction! They cleaned up really nicely. And the handles are near perfect.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Got quite a bit more done on the pan this week. I was able to start test fitting hardware in preparation for the beam and tranny to come home. Did a long drive yesterday to pickup the rebuilt parts. Next up, getting it rolling!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Had a little time to work on the pan. Mostly test fitted some hardware and checked over everything. Got those pesky seat brackets off too! Planning on getting the beam on, transmission in, and brakes done next weekend.