Bounty Hunter is finally home

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
dlyle

Bounty Hunter is finally home

Post by dlyle »

It took forever but my Bounty Hunter arrived yesterday. I love it. It needs a lot so I can't wait to dig in.

langan

Re: Bounty Hunter is finally home

Post by langan »

Wow nice car. Roof, doors, Cragers and a corvair. That will turn alot of heads. The Anglia? Is nice tooo!
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

langan wrote:Wow nice car. Roof, doors, Cragers and a corvair. That will turn alot of heads. The Anglia? Is nice tooo!
thank you. That's a Hillman in the background. Has a fuel injected 302 Ford V8 in it.

langan

Post by langan »

I should have know. Had one after HS. Ther were a lot more around then. Your is way nicer than mine was.
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

langan wrote:I should have know. Had one after HS. Ther were a lot more around then. Your is way nicer than mine was.
This is another one I have. Always amazed talking to people that used to have one. Seems like a lot of people had a Husky or Minx.

langan

Post by langan »

I like that one too. Baby Hemi. Once you have one of something interesting seams like another follows you home. Wont be long and you will have another Buggie
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

langan wrote:I like that one too. Baby Hemi. Once you have one of something interesting seams like another follows you home. Wont be long and you will have another Buggie
It is a sickness and I can tell it will be the same with buggies.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Congratulations! that is beautiful buggy and I'm a bit partial to the darkside power, I'll bet that thing will scoot! It should be loads of fun to cruise.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

manxvair wrote:Congratulations! that is beautiful buggy and I'm a bit partial to the darkside power, I'll bet that thing will scoot! It should be loads of fun to cruise.

Thanks Mike. Got it running yesterday and now need to get the brakes working. I've got a lot to learn about the VW/Transvair set-up and what parts are Corvair vs VW. Mainly in regards to how the two mate together as far as master cylinders, brake lines, rubber brake lines, emergency brake cables etc and whether or not adapters are needed to get them working together.

I have similar Girling masters on some British cars. Should I stick with what I have or update the brake and clutch masters? My main concern is that there are different threads since we're combining German and US brake parts.

From what I can tell the rear brakes look like they have some kind of thread adapter on the rubber line to wheel cylinder. So I don't know if I order Corvair or VW rear brake hoses.

These are the pedals currently in the car. I'll try and replace with a similar set. From what I'm told these are not stock type pedals....especially since the clutch is now hydraulic. Not sure if I stay with the current style or go back to the original type pedals.

Last edited by dlyle on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
langan

Post by langan »

With your talents if we're me I would get running and driving while I form a plan. Then totally build a new car under that sweet body.
Unless corvair suspension under buggies is a collector thing I would switch to all VW and hang that Corvair.
That's why buggies are fun. Easy builds and you can do what You want.
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

langan wrote:With your talents if we're me I would get running and driving while I form a plan. Then totally build a new car under that sweet body.
Unless corvair suspension under buggies is a collector thing I would switch to all VW and hang that Corvair.
That's why buggies are fun. Easy builds and you can do what You want.
I think that's a good idea plus getting it on the road may determine the plan based on what I find works well and what doesn't.
langan

Post by langan »

For me they are easy build and no exact blue print. They do always baffle me along the build.
There are some Very good builders for help in this club. No matter what you plan to build there is someone one here thats done before. Kinda like hot rods and Harleys. Best part is you can do your way and club supports you.
I look forward to your posts.
langan

Post by langan »

I assume you have visited other fourms for ideas? Some have lots of past builds.
In the Los Angeles Craigs List there is a Corvair to VW trans adapter? Good luck.
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

langan wrote:I assume you have visited other fourms for ideas? Some have lots of past builds.
In the Los Angeles Craigs List there is a Corvair to VW trans adapter? Good luck.
I've searched around quite a bit on the web and am trying to absorb as much as possible. I''m searching the Samba and Dune Buggy Archives too but is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Trying not to reinvent the wheel since I know it's all been done before.
Last edited by dlyle on Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

For the Corvair parts there a basically 3 options, Clarkes is on the East Coast, Walls in the Pacific Northwest and California Corvairs is in So-Cal, I think those rears are Corvair but if you can pull the drums and post pictures it would help. I don't know anything about those master cylinders and if there are parts available to rebuild them, they look pretty crusty.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)