'66 Manx Period Build - Milo

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
calebmelvin

Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo

Post by calebmelvin »

principiab wrote:What a beautiful build! Looks like an original black CA plate which you don't see too often. Hope to be able to see it in person at some point!
Hi Connie! Thank you so much for your kind message. They are the original black plates to the car, and a matching set too! I kept them from the donor buggy I bought for this build and they are in really nice shape. Pretty excited to have them.
Last edited by calebmelvin on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Finally some sun! Took the buggy for a spin and got to work on some details. You all will be happy to see I am now legal and have wipers. :D Got the delswift mounted too. I went with the downward angle like the catalog. I also mounted up the copper Hurst I had restored and the bug wheel. It was a good day!

Last edited by calebmelvin on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Looks Awesome, great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

manxvair wrote:Looks Awesome, great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike!!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

This weekend the kid decided he wanted to work on the buggy together so we got a few things done. We drilled and tapped for the rear view mirror (split bus style) and installed our freshly restored Deitz 820's. I am really liking how the black looks on this buggy!

Last edited by calebmelvin on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I like the black also, some day I'm going to redo the headlights and tail-lights on my Manxvair to black.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

More details!! When I originally wired up the car it had an option for a horn button but I couldn't find anything I liked so I skipped it. Well I was browsing around and ran across this Bosch push button from Hungary and picked it up. Has the right color button and everything! Mounted it to the left of the speedo and plugged in the horn...it worked great. I also put in my NOS CB antenna mount with a 102" whip! Looks fast standing still!

Sparkster

Post by Sparkster »

I also started working on the top attachment. I have it attached to the roll bar now and have an idea for the front, but am waiting for parts. I'll post an update when I get it done.
I'm interested in what you are thinking about the front top attachment. What are the parts you plan to use?

Cool looking Manx!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Lookin Good!!! With such a tall antenna, it will put a good amount of torque on the fiberglass as it whips back and forth. Make sure you have a good sized plate underneath on the back side of the fiberglass to attach the antenna to so the fiberglass doesn't fatigue and crack or fail completely and fall out.
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

5150bossman wrote:Lookin Good!!! With such a tall antenna, it will put a good amount of torque on the fiberglass as it whips back and forth. Make sure you have a good sized plate underneath on the back side of the fiberglass to attach the antenna to so the fiberglass doesn't fatigue and crack or fail completely and fall out.
I was thinking about that! I need to fab up a bigger plate. There is one under there now but I am wanting some more real estate.
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

What a great weekend! Manx Club member Brian hooked me up with a set of these OG bell shaped wheels, and I got them back from powdercoat on Friday! Had the new tires mounted up (Coker STA Traxion L78-15) which I think look somewhat like vintage Noresmans. Coming together now!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Sparkster wrote:
I also started working on the top attachment. I have it attached to the roll bar now and have an idea for the front, but am waiting for parts. I'll post an update when I get it done.
I'm interested in what you are thinking about the front top attachment. What are the parts you plan to use?

Cool looking Manx!
Here is what I came up with! As you know, the new windshield frames don’t match up with the Manx hardtop well and they have a tendency to lift and fly off at speed. Further, the spring mount doesn’t provide much tension to combat this either. I needed a new solution.

I first wanted a solid mount to the roll bar. I found these $10 mounts to be perfect. They are very solid and create the perfect gap between the roll bar and the top. I used felt inside the mount so they wouldn’t mark the bar over time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0714CYK ... b_pd_title

Next I needed to secure the front so it doesn’t lift. I looked a quite a few options but nothing off the shelf worked. I wanted to reuse VW parts if possible because that’s what they would have done in 1968.

What I ended up using was a $6 strap that holds down the rear seat of the ‘65-77 beetles, and a $4 set of brackets that attach the rubber strap which holds up the rear seat.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 111885741A
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... =111885589

I attached a piece of the strap to the top and then drilled and tapped a 8-32 hole into the windshield frame on each side. Finally I attached the other end of the strap and the bracket to the windshield. I cut off the excess and melted with a lighter to make a nice edge.

It turned out to be very clean and works well to keep the front of the top down. Best of all it was only $20 in parts!