Manx Safari? Help to Identify it

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
blahbadabenji

Manx Safari? Help to Identify it

Post by blahbadabenji »

Hey guys, I just picked this one up and am wondering if it is a real Manx Safari Buggy? It has the hood scoops, but am not sure... what do you think?

2355 2354
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reformated pics to separate from text
lastmanx

Re: Manx Safari? Help to Identify it

Post by lastmanx »

Hi not a manx. no front hood emblem mold also rear body is longer covering more of engine area. longer engine body coverage was used on many new England area buggys due to ma. dot regulations that would not allow an exposed engine. they still enforce them today. I live in Massachusetts. still looks like a nice buggy enjoy it. the condition off the buggy bring more value than body brand. keep in mind if you want a real manx you can buy a new one from bruce its the best way to be sure you get real.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

You have to keep in mind that the name 'manx' is used in a synonymous way with the term 'dune buggy.' Its like when you ask for a 'Coke' when you mean cola. You can get a real Coke, or you can get a Pepsi, or Shasta Cola, or Canada Dry Cola etc... They are all colas, but only one is a Coke. Same thing with dune buggies. Many people use the term 'manx' as the popular alternative for 'dune buggy.' Some do it un-intentionally (the term has become part of colloquial language today), while others do it maliciously to try and bump up the price of a generic clone buggy they are trying to sell. So, as always, let the buyer beware stands true. We have to do our research before making an investment of this type.

Briefly going through the Dune Buggy Archives (looking at just the hood bumps), it looks like it might be a Safari Trail (though the back of the rear wheel well looks different), a Beverly Hills Buggy made by Wind and Sea in Costa Mesa CA or maybe a Boonie Buggy by Fibe-Ron Manufacturing, but could be something else entirely (the lip around the hood seems to be unique). You'll have to do a more detailed search to be sure.

That being said, you have purchased a very nice looking buggy. I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of it and hope to see you out on the trail some day. Our buggy is a clone and we still enjoy the heck out of it!
Last edited by 5150bossman on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

I would say "whoever" got the "SAFARI" part right!!! It has the Safari hood!!! I could tell you more, if you posted a photo of the dash & the rear of the buggy!!! One thing is for sure... You can have just as much FUN FUN FUN in it, as you can in any other brand of f/f buggy!!! LOL
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22