Full Flow Filters

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
rzeller

Full Flow Filters

Post by rzeller »

Is anyone running a full flow filter kit on their buggy? If so, can you share a picture or two of how you have it mounted? Thanks, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Here are a couple of pics of ours mounted to the bumper mounting tube (filter mount attached to a small steel plate with 'U'-bolts) with a Fram HP-1 filter with a heat sink wrap around it as our buggy was before we went to an O'Berg cleanable filter. The oil lines are 24" Gene Berg steel braided teflon lines. The heat sink wrap also acts as protection from rocks kicked up by the tires. Image Image
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I like filter pumps, nice and neat and no exposed and possibly vulnerable pipework... Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Next: I'm considering building a motor toward the end of this year. I've been reading that the full flows are the best filtration system out there. However, I do understand Dave's point about the lines. I don't off-road my buggy so I'm not real concerned about snagging a line, but I'm not sure I like the looks of the full flows. Anyone care to share their pro's and con's of each of the systems shown? Dave's picture is the type of filter/pump that I'm also considering. Thanks, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Lee

Post by Lee »

I am considering putting a 1776 in my buggy later this year. I have been running a 1600 DP since 2002, and am tired of barely making it up hills. A bigger engine means more heat, so I will need to add an oil cooler. Since I will be investing a lot of money into the engine, a full flow filter makes sense too. At this time I am thinking about buying one of Pedro's oil filter mounts. It attaches to the exhaust studs on the #4 cylinder and puts the filter in a very good location. I also like the aluminum sleeve in the Bossman's photos. From the filter, I can run another line to the cooler, which will likely go somewhere near the transmission. I plan to keep the stock doghouse cooler in place as well. I like those braided steel oil lines. Their appearance doesn't bother me. Just route them the way they look best. The filter/pump would be OK as long as you buy a quality one (i.e. CB Performance). I'm not sure I want the filter in that spot for off-roading, but it should be fine on a pavement only buggy. I hope people keep posting to this thread so I can keep learning!
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[quote="Lee;13882"]At this time I am thinking about buying one of Pedro's oil filter mounts. It attaches to the exhaust studs on the #4 cylinder and puts the filter in a very good location. [/quote] Where can I see one of these mounts? By the way, I'm interested in learning as much as I can also. My engine build will be my first attempt. I'll start a thread on that at some later date. Thanks, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Lee

Post by Lee »

If you scroll down in the following thread you can see one of Pedro's mounts. http://rbcdunebuggy.yuku.com/reply/13711#reply-13711 Lee
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Thanks Lee. I like that set up. I would like to see a straight-on shot (facing the motor) if anyone has one of those. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The problem with the one piece oil pump/filter body is there is no way to have a pressure relief system for cold weather starts. Living in CT, I used to blow oil fiters gaskets during cold (40 F or lower) start ups "back in the day". Also, certain exhaust systems run very close to this style system and can add heat to the oil system. If you go with the remote set up, get a Gene Berg pressure relief cover http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=320 as part of your system, and you will have no problems. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="Tom Kathleen;13891"]The problem with the one piece oil pump/filter body is there is no way to have a pressure relief system for cold weather starts. Living in CT, I used to blow oil fiters gaskets during cold (40 F or lower) start ups "back in the day". Also, certain exhaust systems run very close to this style system and can add heat to the oil system. If you go with the remote set up, get a Gene Berg pressure relief cover http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=320 as part of your system, and you will have no problems. Tom[/QUOTE] That's the main reason I went for a K&N filter over others, as they do seem a lot more substantial. I chose a filter pump after I noticed that VW fitted them (without auxiliary relief valves) as standard equiptment on most recently built Mexican engines. An auxiliary pressure relief valve could also divert oil past the filter at the time of highest possible wear, ie during cold start conditions...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

5150bossman, I know this thread is pretty old but still being looked at but was wondering, where did you get your filter heatsink at? Kind of a neat idea to help keep the oil temp down. Dan Sacramento area Manx Club #3423 RBC member DSP member
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Dan, I believe it was on-line from J.C. Whitney. One thing I would like to add, one reason we didn't go with the one piece unit is that the oil pick-up and return are in the same location. So you don't get true 'Full Flow' filtration as much of the oil going into the pick-up just came out of the return, so it filters a little bit of oil over and over again, but does not send all of the oil through the filter.
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

Thanks 5150bossman for the quick reply, i'll check out JC Whitney to see if they still have them available. Dan
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

I use the one piece unit and use a Bosch filter on it. My unit has a gasket which separates the intake and discharge sides so I don't think it recirculates any oil. Lee I have a 1776 and I don't have an external cooler. On a 98 degree day it may get up to 180 degrees but that is as hot as it gets and that is in traffic. It does have the extra sump which I think helps.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I was introduced to several so-called experts on engines and "Unless you have a bigger than an 1835, the stock doghouse cooler is sufficient for most applications, (proper rpms cool the motor) unless you are being in competitive applications". Since day 1, I do not run a filter or extra cooling add-ons and have never had a problem, I do change oil after every run or about 200 miles, but I also do not run a "Worry" gauge, either. My opinion only!